Chapter 11 Awakening Reverie

In the year that has elapsed since the apocalypse, JOE, having been in hibernation within a peculiar cocoon, finally awakens in December. Despite his vigorous efforts to escape—tearing, biting, scratching—the resilient cocoon refuses to yield, forcing JOE into a state of involuntary dormancy. When he does reawaken, JOE discovers a significant enhancement in his physical abilities, elevating him to a G- level, a milestone that fills him with a sense of accomplishment.Eager to test his newfound strength, JOE's first target is the cocoon that had imprisoned him. Transforming his hand into a claw, reminiscent of the long-unused "Nine Yin White Bone Claw," he strikes the cocoon, creating small openings. With a forceful tear, JOE finally emerges into the blinding light of the outside world, exclaiming triumphantly at his liberation.However, JOE is disturbed by a newfound impulse to consume the cocoon. This inclination, along with the evolution of his teeth, which now resemble those of a zombie controller, capable of absorbing liquids, signifies a shift toward more zombie-like behaviors. Despite his powerful evolution, JOE harbors a deep aversion to becoming a full-fledged zombie.Realizing he is completely naked, JOE swiftly remedies the situation, clothing himself. He understands the importance of appearance, regardless of his strength.Suddenly, the sounds of armored vehicles and tanks capture JOE's attention. His enhanced hearing reveals that humans are discussing a plan to clear the zombies in Beilin City. JOE is conflicted: choosing humans means siding with the evolutionaries, but siding with zombies means embracing the role of a controller. He ultimately decides to align with the zombies, as they, particularly Wu Yi and Wu Er, have previously saved his life.JOE's decision, however, comes with the awareness that human forces are likely to turn against him after dealing with Wu Yi and Wu Er. He resolves to defend himself vigorously against any human threats, differentiating himself from others like Li Hu, who kill humans solely for evolution.As JOE ponders his situation, he notices several ion cannons at the war fortress. These weapons, which he had acquired to strengthen the fortress against a zombie horde, now seem poised to be used against humans. This is a drastic change from a year ago when Wu Yi and Wu Er would have hesitated to take such aggressive action.JOE tests his upgraded abilities by absorbing the cocoon with his teeth, now capable of creating miniature black holes to assimilate matter. This advanced ability, a fusion of the Controller's Bite and Black Hole Absorption, is under JOE's control to prevent starvation.The human army, now at the Eternity Hotel, attempts futile negotiations with the zombies. JOE, realizing the impending conflict and the limitations of the war fortress's energy reserves, rushes to the scene. He understands the potential for heavy losses if his forces engage in close combat with the well-armed humans.As JOE arrives at the Eternity Hotel, caught between human and zombie forces, his situation becomes precarious. Unrecognized by his own forces due to his evolved appearance, he narrowly escapes being shot.In the war fortress, JOE confronts Wu Yi and Wu Er, reprimanding them for their near-fatal mistake. The realization of JOE's identity leads to a moment of stunned reverence from Wu Yi, Wu Er, and the crawlers, who promptly kneel in gratitude and loyalty.JOE, now in command, orders the destruction of the human forces outside. The crawlers, initially shocked by his directive against fellow humans, quickly rally to prepare for battle.JOE observes the human weaponry, noting the widespread use of Nepalese kukris—a testament to human technological advancement over the past year. He fears that if humans become aware of his own advanced technologies, they might resort to extreme measures like nuclear weapons. With the human race on the brink of collapse, JOE foresees a future where zombies evolve and dominate the Earth.