II

The gravel crunched under Cordelia's boots as she made her way back down the same path. The sun wasn't even visible in the sky yet but, she agreed to meet Finnick by the cave at dawn.

"Katniss and Peeta are engaged. They've called off our presence in the Capitol."

The words left Finnick heaving, her breath running out quickly as well.

"They don't want us to go," She mumbled, "why not?"

"They don't want any of the victors there."

"What, do they think we're going to try and start a war?"

A chuckle came behind the queation, a smirk on Cordelia's lips as they formed the words. The idea seemed so far fetched, so humorous to her but, as Finnick's expression stayed harsh, then it started to seem real. 

Too real.

"They think we're going to try and start a war." She repeated in a whisper.

"Cordelia, meet me here tomorrow." Finnick said fastly.

His hands grabbed her shoulders, commanding her eyes to meet his.

"Wait- Finnick-"

"I can't," He muttered, "there's not really any time- or safety to explain right now but, I promise I will. I didn't plan on telling you like this, I'm sorry, now I have to go."

"No-"

"Meet me here tomorrow," He repeated, "first thing in the morning, you'll know more then. I swear."

She stepped through the gap in the fence, her breath coming out in a crisp cloud from the cold temperature, her hands tugging on the sleeves of her sweater to keep themselves warm. The walk felt longer than it had the day before but, Cordelia just chalked that up to the mixture of nerves and anticipation. She didn't mind the length though. Every time she walked down this path, it felt like she were still in a dream state. Still in a world where everything was okay. Of course that feeling only intensified when the sound of the waves crashing hit her ear drums.

At first, she couldn't find him. She had even begun to think he wouldn't show. Maybe he had let his fears get the better of him like part of her own core begged her to do. Or maybe this all really was just one big joke, a dream she'd wake from any second now. These thoughts were put to rest when she scanned the area once more and he finally came into her sight. He was sat upon a set of rocks closer to the shore, his hands in front of him, fiddling with something. As she stepped closer, she recognized the purple, star shaped petals he was tugging off of the familiar flower instantly.

"These are Phacelias," She said softly, grabbing ahold of one of the flowers and bringing it closer, "they're my favorite."

"Why's that?" Finnick stepped closer to get a better look at the plant.

"My dad wanted to name me after them," Her smile brightened and she went into an explanation on what they symbolized, "they settled on Cordelia though."

"Heart," Finnick said surely, the pride he felt evident in his face, "I think it suits you."

"You came."

He stood to his feet so fast that he stumbled on his way up to her, startling her out of the past. She had never seen him as scrambled as she had today and the day before. She'd never even thought about witnessing him lose his footing but here he was, struggling to stay upright, nearly crashing under the waves behind him and stolen away with the strong spring tide.

"I think I had to. Wouldn't want you to have my head." She joked awkwardly, a small smile flashing over his lips.

"Good one," He mumbled sarcastically, "come on, this way."