XII

"He's not breathing," Katniss screamed, trying to shake him awake, "Peeta, please! Peeta!"

She cradled his lifeless body until Finnick stepped forward to pull her away, "Here, let me take a look."

She hesitantly took a step back, watching intently as he crouched down and checked Peeta's pulse with his fingers. He checks over several areas of the boys chest and ribs, then reaching up to pinch his nose shut. Cordelia knew that this would be an attempt to save the boys life. Finnick would try to kickstart Peeta's heart back into motion by feeding him breaths through his mouth. Katniss however, seemed to have no clue what was about to happen as she jumped forward with a violent yell. He twisted around just in time to avoid the attack, his palm whacking forward into the girl's chest. Katniss came reeling back, her body flying towards the tree Cordelia was propped up against. Cordelia caught the girl, her own back slamming into the tree trunk, leaving both of them gasping for air. Nevertheless, she gave Finnick a nod of understanding and he went back to Peeta.

"No, let me go!" Katniss growled out.

"No," Cordelia said sternly, "just- he's helping you!"

This seemed to slow her thrashes. Well that, and the sight of Finnick pressing his lips to Peeta's to supply him oxygen. Katniss immediately went from upset to confused as she relaxed into Cordelia's grip.

"What is he doing? He's not... he's not kissing him-"

"No," Cordelia burst out into a sudden laugh, "sorry- I'm sorry, no. He's blowing air into his lungs."

As Finnick undid the top of Peeta's suit and pressed into his chest firmly, Katniss jolted forward again. She pulled an arrow back in her bow but, got too interested in the scene to ever shoot it, ultimately letting the arrow sink to the ground and letting everything play out in peace. Well, as peaceful as one could be when the only person around them they could trust laid dead in front of them.

"Peeta?"

A light cough sounded, and Cordelia released her grip immediately, letting Katniss rush to her partner. She left everything she carried by Cordelia, her hands shaking like leafs as they wiped over Peeta's blonde, dirty strands, peeling them off of his face. He made some sarcastic remark about the force field that made her chuckle tearfully before pulling him into a sloppy kiss.

"Here."

Finnick held his hand out to Cordelia and pulled her up, checking her over one more time when she was in his grip.

"I'm alright-"

"I thought you were dead," Katniss sobbed into Peeta's chest as she pulled him upright and closer to her, "your heart stopped!"

"It's working now." He reassured, rubbing her back comfortingly.

She choked out a sound so awful that Cordelia grimaced, Peeta's eyes now widening with concern.

"Katniss, I'm alright," He promised, clearing her hair out of her face as she continued to sob, "Katniss?"

Cordelia shook her head, now understanding that what they had together was in no way performative. Sure, the marriage, the baby, hell even the idea that they were together at all was probably a facade but, the love they felt for each other, the way they looked at one another. That was no act.

"It's probably the hormones," She said quickly, stepping forward to help the girl stand, "my mom was like this when she was pregnant with my little brother."

"That's not-"

Another sob broke through Katniss's response, and Cordelia just stared blankly.

"We need to keep moving," Finnick said smoothly. He looked between the pair almost quizzically, seeming to be figuring out what Cordelia had just seconds ago. He shook off his thoughts, looking to Peeta, "do you think you can?"