11 - Trust

Tate gave into Jimmy by agreeing to a truce. At least he didn't regret Vail. Jimmy might think he had control, but life was unpredictable. A surgery caused him to drop everything and care for his aunt, but only because her husband died unexpectedly. Surely, a grieving widow in a wheelchair understood the inability to control life.

Underneath Baxter and Ivy were mixing up a purple drink. "Tate, come try this. I found the recipe online." Her smile looked like she found the golden ticket.

"What is it?" Sweet drink, easy to go down. "Trouble?"

Ivy laughed. "Blueberry martini."

Baxter squeezed her arm as he brushed by her to go up on deck. "I'll take care of you." He turned back to Ivy. "Both of you."

Tate groaned. "He's secretly hoping you get a good buzz."

Ivy giggled. "What's with that stand off between you and Jimmy?"

"He knows I'm angry that he's going after Duncan's family."

"Why are you mad about that?"

Ivy handed her a glass. She took one sip. The sweetness hid the alcohol. Damn, it was good. "Because I'm not his responsibility. He has to rescue everyone, but it's not his job." It's impossible to rescue everyone. Tate closed her eyes. More than anyone on earth she understood his motivation. Neither Jimmy nor Tate could have predicted how her sixteenth birthday would end. For so many reasons Tate wished Jimmy had never kissed her that night.

"Tate, you look like you just saw a ghost."

"What? Um, I was remembering something, I, um..." Didn't want to. "Just something."

"It's the weekend. Put all thoughts of work away."

"How's your job?"

"I'm not the newbie anymore. We have a summer intern." Ivy laughed.

"Can't be as great as you."

Ivy blushed. "I can't believe it's been a year. Working with Baxter finally gave me focus. I love when we protect an employee, but most often we represent the employer. Defending guilty people isn't fun."

"Still, are you making a name for yourself? Fast track to partner?"

"I don't want to be a partner. My priorities have changed. I have a meeting next week. I'm getting a case. It's pro bono."

"Really. A free case?"

"Yup, the firm encourages it. An associate, who's working towards a partnership, doesn't like the pro bono cases. I told him I would do his next turn. Let him bill the hours and get noticed."

Tate looked at her. "You really don't want to advance your career?"

She blushed. "Being Baxter's wife will come with responsibilities."

Tate laughed. "Like babies."

Ivy blushed as her eyes danced. "Maybe."

Tate laughed. "That is your plan. Isn't it?"

"Maybe not right away, but yes."

The motor started, and the boat moved backwards with a jolt and then forward. Tate should have been helping Baxter on deck. Her heart lurched as she remembered Jimmy knew his way around the boat. Ivy went on deck with the pitcher of sweet alcohol while Tate stared at the blurry galley and sitting area. She shut her eyes, and the memory returned. She had lunged at Baxter because he had taken the cupcake she wanted. Petty, but it was an egregious crime to Tate at fourteen. Two arms stopped her from propelling forward.