21 - Cursed

Tate sat at her desk debating if she should stay to work or go home. The night before she left on time to go to the dojo. She never thought she would miss the TV nights. Kasper won the trip around the world and broke umpteen million more hearts in the process. He even appeared on a sexiest man list. Tate would take Chris Pine. At least in his cute, well-groomed days. She shut her eyes and acknowledged to herself Chris could definitely play Jimmy if there were a movie about his life. She hoped her brother didn't decide to act. His surging modeling career was enough. Hopefully, she would never see him in underwear on a billboard.

Tom was cute, but he would never make one of those lists. He also didn't make a good boyfriend, if that was what he was. Tate couldn't complain because he hadn't found the switch in her body that caused her to heat up. Jimmy didn't help, because he kept Tom busy, and she wondered if it was on purpose.

She and Tom had a dinner date once a week, and his phone continued to ring. It was like Sinclair had a camera in her apartment. Every time things heated up, Tom's phone rang.

The last time hadn't gone well. Tate had insisted he shouldn't answer. "You don't understand. We're in the middle of something big."

Even though Tate had been involved in the scene with Junior, Tom refused to share details with her. As a lawyer, she understood, but as a girlfriend it was frustrating.

"Jimmy is just being a prick. He shouldn't call you at all hours."

"The man isn't a prick. He's a genius."

Tate rolled her eyes. No question where Tom's loyalty fell. One night at dinner, he had questioned her. The conversation started out innocent. Tom had said, "Is it true your brother's girlfriend dated Jimmy first."

Tate laughed. "I totally forgot about that. It was a ruse to make Baxter jealous. Jimmy sticks his nose in places he shouldn't."

"The first night at the Bates party. Jimmy definitely made me feel jealous."

"Why?" Tate knew. She danced with him and then they left together. She couldn't tell Tom they ended up fighting.

"Truthfully, the way he looks at you makes me wonder."

"Don't bother. Jimmy thinks he needs to protect me, and everyone in my family. As you saw, I can defend myself."

He laughed. "I wouldn't want to wrestle with you."

Another woman would have said something provocative about pinning him down.

Oddly, Tate felt jealous about Romy. Tom spent a lot of time with her. She told herself the clock was running out on their relationship, especially after their last awkward conversation. Tom asked about the upcoming wedding.

"Don't worry, I'll be too busy as maid of honor. I don't need a plus one."

"I just assumed."

She smiled. "But it's not fair to Rose."

They never dated on the weekend because of Rose. They still had lunch on Saturdays but Tom didn't want to confuse his daughter. Tate didn't argue because she wouldn't be a part of Tom's life forever. After three months, they hadn't found time to have sex said which something about both of them. If she wanted to, they would have. He certainly could have tried to seduce her.

"Who is the best man?"

She rolled her eyes. "Jimmy, why?"

He shrugged. "I should stay home with Rosie."

"You're a wonderful father."

He smiled, but they both knew the writing was on the wall. Tate's father was wrong. She wanted true love or nothing. She could be a favorite aunt.