Chapter 8.

Kacey is back in foster care, sitting on the same old bed. Visualizing Kyle sleeping in the same bed as last time. Unluckily for Kacey the bed is just a white single bed, with no Kyle.

The social worker, Linda walks over to Kacey with empathy. "Kacey... how are you holding up?" She inquires, keeping a light smile.

Kacey nods her head side to side, not accepting her new reality. "I need to see Kyle." She says with pain clogging up her throat.

Although Linda feels for Kacey in no relatable type of way she cannot comply "Now is not the best time."

Kacey won't accept a no and feels enrage. "I need to see him! You don't understand. There could be no later."

This time lucky for Kacey Linda gives in. "Okay." Linda tells her.

As time kept passing Kacey is sat in the waiting room. The only company are the people around her and the mental health magazines on top of a coffee table.

That's until the doctor calls out for Kacey.

Kacey stands up and enters. She pauses before entering the room, with a curiosity. "Doctor how is he?" She demands an answer.

The doctor responds, firmly. "Well, he did lose a lot of blood but--"

Kacey interrupts before he could even get another sentence out. "I'll donate my blood!" Her voice rises along with the hope she has for Kyle's well-being.

Kacey's voice gets softer again. "Please doctor save him." She pleads.

"He's in a coma." The doctor informs her.

The tears in her eyes began to foam up, the only person she has that isn't a dickhead like Diana is barely living.

Good news for Kacey, the doctor opens the door, letting her in.

She sits down on a chair, next to Kyle as he is laying in a bed, relaxed but not responsive.

Kacey holds onto Kyle's hand, gently. "Oh Kyle... I wish you could wake up right now." She lets the tears roll down her cheeks.

"Don't tell me it's the end. I really need you here. You're my brother. We been through so much together. You have to wake up. You have to." Kacey's words become more vulnerable than her tears.

THREE WEEKS LATER

Kacey hasn't left his side in the slightest, only when she had to pee.

There is a knock on the door. It's Linda making herself invited inside. "Kacey you been here for three weeks, you have to go." Linda directs.

"I won't leave him here." Kacey says, without backing down.

As the social worker Linda says, "Kacey, I need to take you back to foster care."

Kacey stands up in disbelief. "Are you crazy? After what happened with Diana, I can't go back there."

"You went back when Kyle was taken to the hospital." Linda makes her point.

Kacey rolls her eyes. "You didn't give me another choice." She mentions.

"Kacey, I don't want to argue with you." Linda tells her, softly.

Kacey steps closer to Linda, almost like a threat. "You promised me that Diana would be a nice mother." She reminds Linda of her inaccurate remark.

"You can not blame me! I had no idea what she was capable of." Linda says with anger, not holding herself accountable.

Kacey shouts, "and that's where you failed!"

There was an awkward silence between the two.

"Get out." Kacey demands, the only action that feels right.

Linda complies as she turns her back away. She leaves the room without a word.

Kacey sits back down in the chair.

There's another knock at the door. "Go away!" Kacey shouts.

The doctor enters.

Kacey's face turns into embarrassment. "Oh, sorry I thought you were someone else." She apologizes.

The doctor closes the door behind him. He clears his throat. "Kacey I need to tell you something." The doctor sounds un-thrilled.

Kacey turns her head to Kyle. She has an idea on what he'll say. "Stop." She breathes heavily.

A flashback runs through her mind of the doctor informing Dylan about Carol's passing.

The doctor breaks the news to Kacey, unease. "Kacey... I'm truly sorry but your brother is dead."

Kacey falls on her knees to the floor. She sobs uncontrollably. I mean why would it matter? It's not like she had to keep her emotions to herself, anymore.

"No! No! No! This, this can't be true." She shouts.

She wraps her arms around Kyle's neck. The last time she'll be able to give him comfort.