Curtain Kill

Outside The Odeon...

"We've been to five of Alastor's parties, and all five have resulted in a murder planned out by the host himself," Isaac states as he and Maddie reach the base of The Odeon's steps, "each murder was carefully planned to get revenge on those who have wronged Giulietta Capecchi... George Buchanan claimed to be Alastor but then recanted the confession... But which one was the lie?"

"I'm still not convinced Giulietta is entirely innocent in this... If George is in love with her, who's to say she didn't ask him to take the fall for her?" Maddie ponders.

"The only thing we can do while we try to unmask Alastor is to attend his final party and do everything we can to be invited to its after-party!" he replies as they climb the steps of the theatre, "I know it's wishful thinking, but perhaps we can stop another murder from happening at this party!"

"If it hasn't happened already!" she argued, walking through the entrance of The Odeon, "Argo left Alto earlier to come to the party; let's go find him!"

The Odeon was a grand building with high ceilings and a second-floor balcony overlooking the lobby. The walls were a rich brown with gold details on the columns and trimwork. Red fabric was draped along the balcony in elegant swoops, and large chandeliers hung from the ceiling. A beautiful mosaic was painted on the ceiling, creating an eye-catching masterpiece. Towards the end of the lobby, large double doors opened to reveal the stage and rows upon rows of seating.

Maddie and Isaac entered the theatre and saw that the design was carried into it. The seats were upholstered in red velvet fabric, and a matching carpet ran the length of the aisles. Dozens of balcony booths were built into the room's side walls with red drapes framing them. At the front of the room was the vast stage with the red curtains lowered to hide the performance area. They could also see an orchestra pit where the musicians sat in front of the stage, waiting for the cue to start their show.

Around the room were the party's guests, who wore masks and carried drinks in their hands. Some of them the detectives recognized from past parties, but others were unknown. But before Maddie and Isaac could approach anyone, the lights in the ceiling dimmed until they went out, and the stage lights lit up. The guests and detectives looked to the stage as the curtains pulled apart, revealing a whimsical forest scene. A painted backdrop ran along the wall, and props were strategically placed to mimic the look of an enchanted forest. Standing at center stage was the opera singer Mr. Alastor had hired for the party, Viviana Tosca.

She was a middle-aged woman with flawless fair skin except for minor wrinkles, deep green eyes and shiny blonde hair in a clean updo. Her green dress was floor-length with a short train and poofy off-the-shoulder straps. A gold belt was cinched just under her chest, creating an empire waist, and her white silk gloves ended a few inches above her elbows. Her jewelry was made of gold and consisted of a large necklace, earrings and a headpiece.

"Welcome to Mr. Alastor's grand finale!" Viviana smiles as she addresses the guests, "it is an honour to have been asked to perform at such a lavish party! And should you be found worthy, I shall see you at the after-party! But that is not for me to decide... Please, enjoy the show and the lovely party Mr. Alastor is graciously hosting!"

"Gracious is not the word I would use," Maddie whispers to Isaac.

"Now, without further adieu, I present to you all-!"

CRASH!

Guests screamed as a grand piano fell from the stage ceiling and landed directly on top of Viviana with a ringing bang. The musicians fled from the orchestra pit and ran out of the theatre alongside the guests, frightened by the sight. Instead of following the crowd, Maddie and Isaac headed straight to the stage and climbed onto it to see if there was any chance of saving Viviana. Sadly, the crushed and bloody body they found had no pulse, and even if it had, they doubted she would have survived the trip to the hospital.