Chapter 5

In the car, Qiao Qingqing cried herself to sleep. Since her "rebirth" in the morning until now, she had been busy, constantly calculating various supplies, feeling utterly exhausted. With the emotional relief, she couldn't help but doze off.

Upon arriving home, Shao Sheng'an carried her out of the car, and Qiao Qingqing immediately woke up.

"It's okay, I'll carry you home."

Shao Sheng'an climbed the stairs steadily, and Qiao Qingqing held onto his neck, speaking earnestly, "What I said earlier was true. I missed you a lot. It was raining outside, and I was afraid you wouldn't make it home in time, so I lied about jumping off the building."

"It's okay. In the future, find another way to trick me. Please don't use jumping off the building. I was really scared."

"What about pretending to be sick?"

"That won't work either. I'd worry too."

Qiao Qingqing touched his face, "Then how should I say it?"

Shao Sheng'an lifted her slightly and smiled, "Just say you miss me, and I'll come back for sure."

"You liar." Qiao Qingqing's eyes reddened again. "Even though I've said it countless times, you didn't come back, so I lied to you about wanting to jump off the building."

"How did I become a liar? I'm—Wait, why is the area in front of our home so dirty?"

When they reached their doorstep on the eighth floor, Shao Sheng'an put Qiao Qingqing down and went to inspect the new anti-theft door. The blue protective film was still on it.

"You got a new door? Made of copper? Not bad. I like this kind, plain and solid without any carvings, looks grand."

"Yeah." Qiao Qingqing unlocked the door with her keys. Once the anti-theft door opened, there was another layer behind it.

"Did you remove the original wooden door? Now the house is really secure, thieves won't be able to get in." Shao Sheng'an sensed something was off with his wife's state but kept agreeing and comforting her.

What he didn't know was behind this door, there was another layer of security. Qiao Qingqing had instructed the technician to install three layers of doors; the fear of someone breaking in from her past life was deeply ingrained in her soul. She might not be able to sleep otherwise.

When Shao Sheng'an saw the third yet-to-be-installed anti-theft door leaning against the wall, he was genuinely shocked.

Three solid copper anti-theft doors without any carvings were too excessive.

But what was more astonishing awaited inside. The living room was cluttered with various items, some construction tools, and unopened delivery boxes. While this wasn't a big deal, when he tried to take his luggage to the master bedroom, he was truly dumbfounded.

Standing at the door, he looked at the completely empty bedroom floor with heating cables arranged in circles. While the cables were systematically coiled, Shao Sheng'an's mind felt like a tangled mess of irregular lines.

"Qingqing, what is this?"

"It's underfloor heating. The second bedroom and attic are also being installed. Tonight, we can sleep in the living room."

Qiao Qingqing gestured for Shao Sheng'an to take a shower first. "Are your pajamas in your suitcase? If they're clean, take a shower first. Let's talk after."

Shao Sheng'an scratched his head, opened his suitcase, took out a set of pajamas, and went to the bathroom. Qiao Qingqing tidied up the living room, stashing away the deliveries, making space by moving the sofa against the wall to create a bed.