chapter nine - my fault

Chip ran after Gillion eventually reaching him on the market place and as he reached for his arm he dropped his disguise carelessly.
"Gillion, what's wrong? Where are you going?", he asked hurriedly and Gillion teared up and hugged him tight. "Gods, your okay", he whispered, "We have to get back to the ship right now, they are ready to leave the island, because you're-" "Wanted", he deep voice behind them said, grabbing Chip by the shoulder.

The brunette turned pale and so did Gillion, before fury took over his face. "Let him go", he said, almost scarily calm.
"And who are you to give a soldier orders?", the man hissed and started putting Chip in handcuffs, twisting his arm as he fought back. "As crown prince of the undersea I command you to let him go", Gillion replied angrily, one hand on his sword.
The soliders smile dropped, before he gave a deep chuckle. "What a lucky day for me", he said, "The missing prince. Now, your royal highness, follow me. I will return you home safely." "I'm not going anywhere and neither is Chip", Gillion said and drew his sword, "You will let him go this instant"

Suddenly the soldier looked behind Gillion and smirked. "Gillion, watch out!", Chip shouted and pulled on the restaints as if to rush over to him, held back in his desperate attempt to safe Gill, who now wiped around and was overwhelmed by two soldiers, that quickly took his weapon, before shackling him as well. "No! Let him go", Chip yelled fighting against the pull of the soldier that was dragging him towards the docks, just like Gill. "This is no way to treat your future king" "You're not our king, not as long as you haven't married princess Jay, who is I believe also missing.", the soldier that held Chip, who was fighting back for his life said, "But fortunately for us, you were also the one taking her, weren't you?"

"No, that was me!", Lizzie suddenly shouted and with a skilled attack of her whip she hit the soldier right on the back of his knee, making him fall, letting go of Chip to safe himself from hitting the ground, "Now come and get me, idiot!"
"Bring the prince to the capital! Don't let anyone take him!", the soldier shouted, before standing up and drawing his weapon shooting at Lizzie. The civilians around screamed and gasped, fleeing the scene.
Chip pulled a pin from his boot - an old trick he had picked up from Lizzie - and picked the lock of the handcuffs, before drawing his weapons as well. He looked at Lizzie who nodded towards the guards that dragged a fighting Gillion away. "You got it?" "Light work! Don't worry!", she shouted and pulled the trigger on the soldier.

Chip took off and rushed after the two guards that had taken Gillion, pushed himself through crowds of people who were all fleeing the fight scene, eventually loosing sight of Gillion.
He shouted his name in painful agony, heard his own name shouted back.
Eventually he reached the end of the road  the docks and saw navy ship leaving.
Already a few hundred feet away from port.
He pushed his swords into the sheaths, ran down the docks and saw Gillion the back of the ship looking back at him. "Gillion!", his eyes filled with tears and then he heard a loud shout. "I love you!"
Before he could process his own actions he jumped into the sea, tried his hardest to swim after the ship, but quickly realized his efforts were in vain when the Navy flag disappeared behind the horizon.

He let out a scream of pain and frustration, until he felt the water moving close to him.
Jay held a hand out from a rowboat and pulled him out of the water, hugging him.
"They got him", he sobbed, holding onto her, "It's all my fault" "We'll get him back", she said, "He won't be left behind. Now let's row over to the ship, the rest is waiting" "Lizzie is-" "She's fine. Caspian got her from the dock just a bit before I found you here", she said, "She had a few wounds, but she'll survive" "We need to go get him. I don't want him to be forced into this role he doesn't want to play again. I don't want him to suffer", Chip sobbed and quickly took an ore helping Jay row.

It took a while to catch up to the midnight rose and on deck, Chip fully broke down, soon felt Arlin hugging him.
"It's my fault", Chip cried and Arlin shook his head. "It was an unfortunate series of events. Don't beat yourself up about it." "Yeah", Liz said hugging him too when she realized how bad he felt, "He's right. We couldn't have foreseen this" "If I would've just listened and gone back to the ship", Chip sobbed, shouting angry at himself, "It wouldn't have happened!"
"We'll get him out of there", Arlin promised and patted his back. "We all like the kid, he's one of the crew. No way we leave him behind", Drey said and the captain nodded.
"He's one of us.", he said and then he added, "Did they say where they are going?" "The capital", Lizzie quickly said and then she looked over at Jay, "You shouldn't come with us. They are searching for you too. You're in far more danger of being dragged back into royalty then you believe"

"That's my best friend you're talking about, if anyone will put bullets through those who dragged him into the life he hates it's me", she said and tied her hair up into a ponytail.