Chapter 2: Secrets

~Jack's Perspective~

He was running away from the people he owed a lot of money too, or the people that worked for Darius. He ran through alleys and then got up in a higher place a wooden structure. He figured he would just hide there long enough for them to leave. But he almost fell which was an issue until he got himself back up. And was watching the two idiots below. Smirking. But he caught after he got down to early and Darius was not happy with him. 

"No, no, no. No, no, no, wait. No, give me more time. For God's sake, man, I cannot perform surgery without both of my hands!" Jack protested. 

"It's a shame you didn't factor that before you took up cards, Jack." Darius said crudely. "You owe what you owe me, and it's considerable. Take his right hand." 

"No!" 

"Hello, Mrs Brennan." Darius said to a woman with red hair. "Is that young Nathaniel I see there? He is growing apace." 

"I give you my word." Jack pleaded. "I will have the funds, soon." 

Darius put an arm around the kid. "What do you think, young Nathaniel? Do you think we can trust him?" The kid shook his head. "Nah." The knife came down but Jack's hand wasn't cut off. Another one laying next to his. 

Darius held it in his hand. "I took this off another welcher earlier this morning. I have rules, see. I'll allow you the latitude of Wednesday. You pay me in full by then, or this." He waved the hand around. 

~

Jack remembered Anya's offer, he wouldn't take it, it didn't seem right. It wouldn't be right. But why would she offer such a thing? She obviously wants something out of it. But what? He was a surgeon who gets paid nothing. He gambled to make his money. Now that was kicking him in the ass. Anya was a Nikolova and those people have a lot of money. They made their wealth socially. Or used too anyway. 

He walked down to the basement and saw Tim down there along with Fagin. He grabbed Fagin and they went to talk alone. 

"Where is she?" He asked. 

"Returning the necklace." Fagin informed. "Said she'd better do it because it would make the most sense or whatever." 

Jack rolled his eyes. "Right, well, where's she getting this money from?" 

Fagin shook his head. "Probably an inheritance or something. Nikolova's are pretty much dead now. Anya's the last one." 

Someone knocked on the door and Jack went to answer it, Hetty motioned to someone with a glare, it was Anya.

"What?" Jack asked. 

"I returned them, the story I came up with was a good one." Anya muttered, walking into the room. "And as for the money, I have the deed. Just need to cash it out then we're good to go." 

Jack nodded. "I only need 26 pounds." 

"Well you're in luck I inherited more than that. But I refuse to use it."

"Why?" 

Anya sighed. "Because I hated that life and anything having to do with it, Jack." 

Then she left and Jack had again, missed her, but he also didn't because he knew she'd be back. But it wasn't that, something entirely different. 

~

Late at night Jack found himself staring at the ceiling, he was alone, and that's how his life had been the last 15 years. Now Fagin was back but he wasn't any good, Anya on the other hand was willing to pay off his debt. Which he found odd. Fagin was sleep in front of the door, he tried to kick him awake but he was out.