IV. Salty Tears

"Wakey, wakey. Rise and shine, Becky!" Aliza's voice echoed inside my head. Why is Aliza inside my dream?

I felt like something's crawling near my arm. That touch was familiar. Shit! I automatically jolted up.

THAT WAS ALIZA'S SIGNATURE MOVE EVERYTIME SHE WANTS TO TICKLE ME TO DEATH!

First she'll run her fingers on my arm, and then the next, I'll be folding like an armadillo while she's tickling the life out of me.

It's a good thing, I still have presence of mind while I was half-awake. Or else, it's gonna be my doomsday.

"Whoa, I thought you were still sleeping. Damn." She cussed.

"I was. You're just too slow." I answered while rubbing my eyes.

I looked at the clock on the night table and it says, 7:10am. Why would she wake me at this early in the morning? The previous summers were staying up late and waking up late. And now, staying up late and waking up early? I bet she's planning on something again.

"What do you have in mind this time, Liz?" I asked while getting off the bed and slipped my feet on my slippers.

"Nothing in particular, Becks." She sniggered.

"Please stop with the matchmaking, Aliza. I'm not really interested in falling in love. I have far more than the whole world to worry about first than falling for someone." I said firmly. Everytime I am this serious over something, it's irrevocable. She can't penetrate through my words when I get serious. And all she could do was to nod.

But knowing the high-spirited Aliza, she'll at least give it a try.

"Be downstairs in a bit. We'll have breakfast." She said.

"Alright." I answered.

She headed off the door and out. I was left with a heavy sigh and a doubtful thought in my mind.

And then I glanced at the window where the small speck of light crept on the draping of the curtain. I walked towards it and opened the window.

I was greeted by the cool morning summer breeze and the undeniable salty water. The rays of the sun weren't that hot and it almost felt good. The smell of the sea and how the sound of the waves, rolling and crushing unto the shore, reminded me of one thing. My family.

How are they? Are they safe knowing they're left in there with my drunkard father? Of course I wouldn't brag about being the savior of the family in those hell times that my father is going hysterical and drunk. Because I wasn't. I wasn't that helpful in those kind of situations at all. Mom takes the blows. My brother's innocence is slowly being scraped. My sister's hardly recognizable, or maybe she's just used to it. Me? I always sulk on my bed, thinking of what could be worst. And the one who always worries about what will happen next.

That is actually my everyday life. It isn't normal, the fights are not normal. But it's all there is to be. Just like what Sheriff Bentham said, I can't fix it. No one can.

But even though I have this dysfunctional kind of family, I am still thankful that we're complete and that I can still feel a little love revolving around the house. Though little, hardly felt, but enough to keep me going.

I didn't realize that tears are trickling down my cheeks. I sniffed a little and wiped the tears away.

"What's with the salty water and tears?" I asked myself and then headed towards the door.

When I shut the door close, I heard another. And on my left stood Andi, and looks like he's just woken up himself, seeing the long yawn he made.

"Good morning, Becky." He greeted with a very cute smile.