IX

Dec. 31st, 2023

"3... 2... and, 1!", you counted down, your own voice lost in the ocean of other people's voices. Kuro, Matara, Mika.

You could say they're reunited, finally.

"Happy new year!" You squealed, as Kuro and Mika did the same. "Happy new year, honeys!" Matara exclaimed, wearing a bright smile that you could practically hear over the discord call.

You weren't streaming, of course.

For once, you felt complete. You celebrated the new year with friends, for the first time as a VTuber. It was a new sense of accomplishment that you'd never achieved before.

"Eeee, it's 2024!" You squeaked out, nothing but excitement shining through your tone. You were practically squirming in your seat - you were good at staying up at night. Matara was only here for a short time, about ten minutes, as she had something planned with her family. Kuro, on the other hand, was at home with his sleeping mother who was too tired to celebrate the new year - but none of you minded. Kuro-mama deserved her peace and quiet.

Mika was.. well, Mika was Mika. And how does Mika spend her new year? At home, talking with you. She doesn't do much, really, maybe staying up on occasion when she feels like it. But now, she has a reason to celebrate.

And you? You spend your new years celebration with.. well, Mika. And Kuro. And Matara. It's not lonely anymore, and it's not overwhelming. You don't have to deal with seeing a bunch of distant relatives you don't even know at the family reunion your parents set up for almost every holiday - you get to stay home, in your comfort zone, and maybe see a few fireworks from out your window since you didn't really bother buying any yourself.

"Honeys.. I think I have to go now." Matara mumbled, the distant and muffled sound of children laughing and all around people having a good time present on her end of the line. "Bye, Ni- Matara. Bye, Matara." Kuro chuckled. "Bye, mom~" You cooed, a bit sad to see her leaving so soon. "Bye, mama. Have fun celebrating!" Mika added, and with a short, final goodbye Matara had left the call.

"It's really not that hard to slip up this damn often, bro." Mika spoke after a moment, not being able to contain her comment and giggle. "Oh shut up!" Kuro snapped back, though he wasn't genuinely mad. Seems that it's the same ship, different people.

"Y'know what? Bye, I'm not dealing with this slander." He declared suddenly. "Happy new yea-" before he could even finish screaming into the mic, he left the call.

That sneaky bastard, he actually left.

"Wha- damn, that's not fair." Mika complained. "Pussy." She muttered to herself. "Ey, be nice." You scolded in a playful tone, a content smile spreading on your lips. Silence hung in the air for an unexpected amount of time.

".. just us two now, huh?" The comment was equal parts sarcastically flirty and serious - you'd expect nothing less from Mika. "Yep. Just the two of us." You nodded curtly. "Just the two of us." Mika sang out the 'backing vocals' quietly - neither of you really knew the lyrics, or the title of the song. But you didn't care, either.

Her antics elicited a small chuckle from your end. "It's the Melaticult's first new year without you." You muttered out. "Some of them still bring you and Feilatika up in my chat, they miss you a lot." You remarked with a faint giggle. "Aww~ that's sweet. Next time, tell them I miss them too." She replied. "Will do, Mika." You nodded your head slightly.

"I'll make sure they never forget you, this year."