Chapter 34: The Ringing Bell

I'm Cyran, a proud knight of Kingdom Gem Castle. As the sun sets, casting a golden glow over the castle walls, I sit in the courtyard, sharpening my greatsword named "Valor." The rhythmic sound of metal against stone soothes my restless mind. Little did I know that this peaceful moment would soon be shattered.

Suddenly, the bell from the wall rings out, its urgent toll echoing through the castle. It can only mean one thing - invaders are at our doorstep. Without a moment's hesitation, I leap to my feet, leaving my sword behind, and sprint towards the wall.

But as I approach, the ringing sound abruptly ceases, replaced by a blinding white flare shooting up into the sky. It is the signal for surrender. Confusion washes over me, and I slow my pace, trying to comprehend what just happened.

When I finally reach the wall, I see a sight that fills me with a mix of anger and relief. The invaders are none other than the Elves, the same race that had once invaded our Kingdom Gem Castle in the past. Memories of their ruthless attack flood my mind, and I feel an overwhelming desire to rid our land of them once and for all.

But before I can act on my anger, King Ethan, the wise ruler of our kingdom, taps my shoulder gently. His voice is calm yet firm as he reminds me of who I am - a knight bound by honor and duty. I look into his eyes, and the weight of his words settles upon me.

"I know you feel anger for their past actions, Cyran," he says, his voice filled with understanding. "But always remember who you are, Knight Cyran."

His words resonate within me, and I realize that my duty as a knight is not solely to seek revenge but to protect and serve my kingdom. I take a deep breath, letting go of the anger that had consumed me.

"Thank you, my liege," I reply, my voice filled with gratitude. I raise my hand, signaling the guards behind the gate wall to open it.

As the gate slowly creaks open, I watch as the injured and starving Elves stumble inside the Kingdom of Gem Castle. Their once proud and fierce demeanor is replaced by vulnerability and desperation. It is a stark reminder that even those we perceive as enemies can suffer and feel pain.

A wave of guilt washes over me as I reflect on my initial desire to rid our land of the Elves. What if the roles were reversed? What if it was me and the people of this kingdom facing such dire circumstances? I realize that my anger had clouded my judgment, blinding me to the suffering of others.

From this day forward, I vow to think more before making any rash decisions that I might regret for the rest of my life. As a knight, it is my duty to protect and uphold justice, but it is also my responsibility to show compassion and mercy.

And so, as the injured Elves find refuge within our castle walls, I pledge to be a beacon of hope and understanding. I will strive to bridge the divide between our kingdoms, fostering peace and unity.