The Miracle

Shane and Lyla had been married for about a year and a half, and they wanted to start trying for a baby. They were in no rush, they were just taking it slow. However, after about two years of trying they were starting to get a little discouraged, as they could not get pregnant no matter how hard they tried.

After six years of trying they started to realize there might be something wrong, so they went to the doctor to see if they could figure out the problem.
The doctor didn't find anything wrong with any of them. They were happy, but also confused, because they've been trying for six years but to no avail.

Shane was now 28 and Lyla was 27. They had been trying for a baby for 7 years now. So many times Shane would find his wife crying. He was so sad that he couldn't do anything except hold her and try to comfort her. And sometimes they would be crying together.
They had gotten to the point where they had just stopped trying.
They had excepted that they were probably not going to be parents. They hadn't given up all hope though, they just made sure to realize that they were enough, and if they never become parents, that will be alright, because that is God's plan. They loved each other very much, and that's all that mattered.

Ten years had gone by, it was the month of September, Lyla was 30, and Shane was 31 years old now.
Lyla had been sick for the last couple of days so she was in bed trying to rest.

A soft knock came from the door as Shane slowly poked his head in through the doorway.
"Lyla?" He said quietly, not wanting to disrupt her.  Lyla looked up at him and gave him a small smile. "I brought you some broth. I thought you might want to eat something." He said coming in the room carrying a bowl of broth.
"Thank you." She whispered.
"How's your throat darling?" He asked, placing the bowl on her nightstand.
"Still hurts."
"I'm sorry love." He apologized, kissing her forehead. "Now here, you have to eat something sweetheart." He said, helping her sit up and then placing a napkin on her chest. Then giving her small spoonfuls of the broth.
"There you go beautiful."
She was able to eat about half of it. He was about to take the bowl to the kitchen, but she stopped him.
"Don't go yet." She said softly.
"Do you want me to stay here with you?" He asked, a smile forming on his face. She nodded.
"Alright darlin', do you want me to cuddle you?" He said, putting the bowl down.
"Yes" she whispered with a smile.
"Alright, come here sweetheart." He said, getting into bed and taking her in his arms. She laid on his chest, closing her eyes in contentment.
"I'm sorry you're sick sweetie, I wish there was something I could do." Then he started humming You Raise Me Up, while playing with her hair.
They eventually fell asleep like this.

The next day, Shane had already gotten up, and cleaned the kitchen and had filled Lyla's water bottle. He slowly opened the door to their bedroom, and saw Lyla sleeping peacefully. He noticed that the blankets had fallen off of her, so he carefully placed the blanket on her, tucking her in, and then leaned over placing the lightest kiss on her forehead.
"Get some rest, my love." He barely spoke.

A couple hours later, Shane went to check on his wife. He came into their bedroom and saw his wife reading her book.
"How are you feeling love?"
"Alright, better than I did yesterday." She answered.
Shane smiled. "That's good to hear." He said, walking over to her and climbing into bed next to her. "Good book?"
"Yes, I'm just reading that Westlife book."
"You feel well enough to have a little dance with me beautiful?" He smirked.
She gave a small chuckle. "I don't know how well I can stand."
"That's alright." He said getting out of bed and picking her up. "I'll hold you." They smiled at each other. Lyla put her arms around his head and layer her head on his chest. Shane turned on a Westlife song, "I Wanna Grow Old With You" and started swaying to the music. At the end of the song he stopped and looked at his wife.
"I wanna grow old with you." He sang.  He smiled at her and gave her a gentle kiss on the cheek.
"Thank you." She whispered.   Then Shane put her gently back onto the bed, and laid beside her.
"Was I gentle enough?"
"Yes." Lyla answered, cuddling up to her husband.
"I'm worried about you Lyla, I want you to see a Doctor." Shane spoke up.
"I'll be fine Shane!" She insisted.
"No, I'm not taking no for an answer, I want to make sure you're okay. I made a vow, in sickness and in health, and I'm going to take care of you. I'm going to take you to see the doctor tomorrow, no buts about it. You hear me?"
She sighed in defeat. "Okay, I oughta know by now there is no talking you out of it."
"Atta girl." He smiled and gave her a kiss on her forehead. "I love you."
"I love you too."
"I want you to get better okay?" He whispered. "Now, I'm going to go get you a bath ready, and I'm going to help you, okay?" He said sitting up.
"I can bathe myself Shane!" She giggled.
"I don't care, I want to help you."
"Of course you do." She rolled her eyes.
"Hey, it's not because of that, you shouldn't accuse me without a fair trial!" They both laughed.

The next day.
"Alright darling, are you ready to go?" Shane asked, walking into their bedroom.
"Yeah. Im really cold though." Lyla answered.
"Here, put this on." Shane said, taking off his hoodie and giving it to her.
"Then you're gonna be cold."
"I'll be fine, you're the one who's sick. Now here, lift your arms up." He said, helping her put on the hoodie. "Alright, you ready now? Do you have your shoes on?"
"Yes I do."
"Okay, let's go." He said lifting her up and carrying her bridal style to the car. She giggled.
"My legs aren't broken you know." She stated, as Shane set her gently in the passenger side of the car.
"Yup, I just like taking care of you, and that's why I have a blanket for you too!" He said tucking the blanket in for her after he buckled her seat belt. "And I got your water bottle, and your phone."
"Thank you sweetheart!" She said, tears glossing her eyes.
"And we're off."

At the doctors office.

"Alright, so the test results are in, and I have some very good news for you both." The nurse stated.
"That's great! What is it?" Asked Shane.
"Well, to start off, you aren't sick for the reason you're thinking."
"What is it?" Lyla asked, her husband next to her, his arm around her shoulder. The nurse had a smile on her face as she said.
"It's because you are pregnant!" She smiled.  The two gasped. Lyla put her hands on her mouth and started to cry as she put her head on Shane's shoulder.
"Are you serious?" Shane asked, tears in his eyes. The nurse smiled and nodded.  Shane and Lyla embraced each other as they both cried.
"It's a miracle!" Lyla exclaimed.
"Thank you so much!" Shane thanked the nurse.
"There's no need to thank me, that's my job." She said. "You are welcome to leave whenever you're ready." The nurse left the room.
"Thank you God!" Shane cried, looking up, tears in his eyes.  They let go of the embrace and Shane put his hands on her cheeks.
"We did it! We're going to have a baby!" He exclaimed.
"Yes, yes! It's a miracle!!" She added. They then gave each other a loving and passionate kiss.
"I love you so much my darling!" Shane whispered.
"I love you too!" She whispered back.