initiative comes to thems that wait

it all began two years ago.

minju sat in the hospital waiting room for one of her annual check-ups. drinking a box of orange juice while flipping through the pages of a 'lego club' magazine she picked up from the kids table.

she was at the 'blood bank' section of the facility awaiting back her results. she already did the basic health checkups with her doctor. all that was left were the internal exams that can only be done with the blood tests. just to make sure her kidney, liver and heart were okay. especially her thyroid. wanting to keep a close eye on that as both her mom and dad have issues with theirs.

minju took a bite of the cookie the nurse gave her, humming at the chocolate melting in her mouth. she flipped a page in the kid magazine and began to read (as the sticker stated) 'the much anticipated, showstopping, groundbreaking: lego comic of the week!'

she couldn't help but let out a snort scanning the title.

yeah, no.

in reality, her eyes were doing everything but reading the 'much anticipated: lego comic of the week'...

for about 10 minutes now, minju's been lowkey eyeing a woman sitting across from her.

the girl walked from the back room and took a seat just on the left side of the door. like most people would when someone new enters, minju took a quick glance at the new face. and maybe began to check her out a little when she saw just how pretty the 'new face' actually was...

scanning down her outfit, seeing as she wore a black crop top with jean shorts, her legs crossed, and sipping from an aluminum can labeled 'fruit punch.'

quite attractive if minju could say...

now, minju would never call herself a starer. the girl had manners. she found people who stared at even the littlest things to be obnoxious and rude. finding that it's absolutely no one's business but the people actually involved anyways. especially when people put themselves in embarrassing situations out in public, minju would feel bad doing so, while her nosy friends stared away, observing them like they were some kind of zoo animal.

which is why she was surprised at herself for repeatedly peeking over the magazine, definitely breaking her own 'staring' code to admire this confident beauty, who sat combing her fingers through her jet black hair, drinking her questionable fruit punch while people murmured on the side of her. not giving a damn about what was going on.

oh, how minju envied to be this unperturbed.

and just as minju suspected when she observed the rest of their surroundings, the people around the girl were avoiding her. finding both the woman and aluminum beverage uninteresting—

"leech."

or so she thought...

minju heard a voice spit walking past the vampire.

leech.

a common vampire slur.

they lived in a world where humans and 'monsters' lived freely amongst each other (peace treaty and all) so it really wasn't difficult to identify the woman as a vampire—as the two bite marks on her neck weren't an even bigger give away—and judging by their location, she must've came here for the obvious. that's why minju was so intrigued with the girls beverage, as from all the medical books she's ever read, hospitals only give out aluminum cans to 'good' vampires in need of emergency blood supply. and try to be 'family friendly' with the public by labeling them all fruit punch.