Mass Exodus to Vueltacuartas

As vacation approached, Pancho and his girlfriend returned to their home in Cocolatka. It looked abandoned, but the fresh herbs were still there. He stayed there with Elena for the first and last time. They glanced at the garden before it perished.

"It is the time for you to cherish our garden for the first and last time," Pancho sadly told Elena.

While the sun was setting, they looked at the farm for the ultimate time before it was overspread by oil drills. After yearning, they also led all remaining locals to migrate to another village.

The villagers cheered and followed Pancho. They carried their belongings and their tools, hoping for a better life. But they also brought their memories and dreams, hoping for a return.

The journey was long and hard. The villagers had to walk more than a hundred kilometres across mountains, valleys, rivers, and forests. They faced many dangers and difficulties along the way. Some died from thirst and hunger, some hitchhiked on passing vehicles, and some made it on foot.

But they never gave up. They supported each other, shared food and water, sang songs, and told stories. They prayed to God and trusted in Pancho.

After several days of walking, they finally reached Vueltacuartas. It was a small village with humble houses and friendly people. They welcomed them with open arms, offered them food and shelter, and invited them to join their community.

Pancho and Elena were among the first ones to arrive. They were tired but happy. They looked at each other with love and gratitude.

"We made it," Pancho said to Elena with a smile.

"Yes, we did," Elena said to Pancho with a sigh.

They hugged each other tightly, feeling hopeful for their future.

But they also looked back at their past, feeling nostalgic for their home.

They wondered if they would ever see Cocolatka again.

They wondered if the garden was still there.

The farmers and folks followed Pancho like sheep following their shepherd. They established their own settlements in Vueltacuartas. They started toiling the communal land. They planted wheat and cacao as their cash crops, the backbone of their economy. Vueltacuartas grew from a seedling to a tree, a village that bore fruits of prosperity. The natives and the Cocolatka settlers intermarried, producing resilient babies. The parents trained their children's survival skills before they could enter kindergarten.

After years of sweat and blood, the villagers reaped the rewards of their hard work. Many bakeries thrived throughout the village. Vueltacuartas gained the reputation as the bread basket of Sandiaterra, a place where bread was as cheap as dirt but as tasty as heaven. Their golden grain was so valuable that it was exported to Fresaria and Manzaro, two neighbouring countries that once were fighting over Sandiaterra but now envied the country's success. People were raking money like leaves in autumn, thanks to their crops and the favourable weather.

All these were possible because of Pancho's charisma, which shone like a star in the dark sky. He led the farmers to a new land of opportunities where they could grow their dreams. He took advantage of the suitable weather, which was like a blessing from above. Before, Vueltacuartas was just a part of a larger municipality, but they became independent from it because they had a much-advanced economy. The first elections were held in Vueltacuartas, and the villagers chose Pancho as their leader without hesitation. Even though Pancho was loyal to the dictatorial regime, he still prioritized his people's interests.

Pancho spoke to the cheering masses, "Folks, let us usher into a new era of success under this new administration. Even though promises are difficult, I will vow servant leadership in this epoch of development and growth. Through the waves, we shall follow within. Remember, our economy is growing, and we are a part of it. Thank you for making our town and country as great as ever. Viva Vueltacuartas! Viva Sandiaterra!"

Lucky Pancho took office with a rapidly growing economy due to oil exploration in his former village. Oil production and exports reached an all-time high, contributing 76.8% to the nation's economy. However, the tyrannical dictatorship was still plagued by corruption. Instead of feeding their people food, they just filled their pockets. Therefore, people remained poor.

Pancho decorated his office with a globe, a map, and many books. During pastimes, he wrote daily journals for the happenings around his town and wandered throughout their new garden with Elena. While relaxing and reflecting in the greenery, Pancho suddenly proposes a marriage to Elena, "Will you marry me?" Elena unanimously said yes. She added, "I will guide you through your servant leadership, Pancho."

The entire town was present at their simple wedding. Loyal hard-nosed farmers gave their produce as a form of a wedding gift. They also symbolized a bountiful harvest for the future. After the wedding, the newlywed couple had an austere honeymoon on their farm, yet they did not plan to have children. "Maybe making children would be a burden to my leadership. We should have them in maybe five years." Pancho told his wife.

Pancho was a dedicated leader who sacrificed his sleep for his people. He worked tirelessly to address their needs and problems, even if they sometimes overwhelmed him. He had a pile of mail on his desk, each letter containing a complaint, a request, or a suggestion from his constituents. He read them all carefully, trying to find solutions and answers. He promised to serve his people with honesty and compassion, keeping his promise of servant leadership.

One morning, he received a special invitation from the President of Sandiaterra. He was surprised and curious, wondering what the President wanted from him. He had never met him in person, only seen him on TV and newspapers. Pancho knew the President was a powerful and ruthless man who ruled the country with an iron fist. He had heard rumours of corruption, oppression, and violence under his authoritarian regime.