Resurrection

"Resurrection - the rising from the dead of a divine or human being who still retains his own personhood, or individuality, though the body may or may not be changed"

†††

I tiptoed into the marble lobby, looking around to spot if there was anyone who might interfere with my business. There was no one in sight. I peered at the door number one last time and leisurely pressed the door handle so as not to make any noise.

But once I opened the door and saw what was waiting inside for me, my non-beating heart sank to my stomach.
An empty room...

"Where is she...?" I was so very disappointed. A wave of anxiety took over my body as I noticed a bouquet of flowers standing on the nightstand along with a little note. I reluctantly approached it to check what that was about, only assuming the worst.

I picked up the tiny piece of paper with a trembling hand. It was so nerve-wracking to me that I started to fear what was waiting for me on that note. I turned it over, full of anticipation.

I was expecting to find a letter for her parents written by the doctors to wish their condolences. But to my surprise, they were just complimentary flowers from the hospital that came with a "Get well soon" letter for the patient.

"Pfft..." I rolled my eyes and tossed it on the ground as I felt a little annoyed that I got so worried for nothing. Why did I care anyway?

"Maybe I should have killed her from the very beginning." I thought to myself, starting to no longer feel remorseful for the way I treated Rachel. Maybe she didn't deserve my pity at all. And maybe she needed to pay for what SHE had done to me.

Just then, my vengeful thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a few doctors in the hallway who seemed like they were approaching my direction.

I swiftly hid myself between the corners of the room, where the curtains could cover me without being seen.

"I seriously have no fricking idea where on earth she could've gotten that huge bite from!" I heard a male doctor exclaim as he barged in the room. My senses got triggered as all of them emanated the smell of her blood.

"It was black and disgusting too, like there was filled with some sort of venom or something!"

"Yeah! I sent a sample to the lab, but they couldn't make out what that black thing was. They said it was venom, but the type is simply unidentifiable"

Their useless conversation made me smile a little. Their unawareness of the danger that was literally just around the corner was so amusing to me. And to think how many of us were lurking in the forest, waiting for naive humans to wander just a little too deep to plunge at their inviting necks and limbs. So ultimately ingenuous.