Blacklisted

"So Jacob served seven years for Rachel, and they seemed only a few days to him because of the love he had for her" - Genesis 29:20

†††

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN 'SHE VANISHED'??! PEOPLE DON'T JUST VANISH!!" The sound of his bellowing voice echoed through the police station's halls, earning a perplexed expression from the male officer. He sighed in defeat, pinching the bridge of his nose in frustration as he tried to calm himself down.

"Look, I'm just... I'm just trying to find my daughter. She's been gone for months and I swear she's been kidnapped, officer! Please-" his voice cracked, unable to keep on walking around from town to town, asking inhabitants if they had seen his missing daughter.

"Sir, please, I will have to ask you to calm down. We're doing everything we can to find your daughter. But with a criminal on the run... It's best we don't assume the worst just yet. We've sent our best troops to investigate the forest and we're hoping to come to a conclusion anytime soon."

The words of the policeman were nowhere near sufficient, as the man was already at the end of his tether. He breathed out in defeat. He was aware of the fact that he might never see his daughter again. He looked at the officer with pleading eyes in hopes of getting some information, a clue or anything at all that the police had been hiding away from him for whatever reason. The officer pursed his lips and looked to the side, contemplating whether divulging this piece of information was worth it or not.

"Alright... I shouldn't be telling you this but..." He signalled her father to approach him, not wanting any eavesdropper to hear it too.

"We've received multiple complaints about animal attacks for the past six months..." he paused to look him in the eye, making sure that he was following through with what he was saying.

"Okay? What does that have to do with my daughter's disappearance?!"

"Mr Madden, you're hearing me but you're not listening to me. Each time a corpse has been discovered, the autopsy results showed it was completely drained of blood, severe wounds, especially in the neck or wrist area or anywhere else where important blood vessels are. In some cases, the flesh was completely torn off the bone..." He made another pause to sigh in frustration and distress.

"What I'm saying is; we are not dealing with 'just animals' here. There's definitely something much more powerful than that... And it's not just our town, it's every other neighbouring town that lives next to the forest."

The towns were located in a mountainous area, each one being built in a concentrical manner, whereas the forest covered more than ten acres of land. The town where Rachel used to live just a few months back was located at a lower altitude compared to the forest. The rest were much smaller than the average size of a town, being more similar to the size of a village, due to the scarcity of proper land to build on.