4. chapter

It's a quarter to die when I knock on the door to Theodore Nott's house

Any other day I would have come up with all sorts of excuses not to go to that party - or the 'big hangout' or whatever they call it.

But I had to get away from the constant video call requests from my mother.

Shortly before knocking I did type a message to my best friend:

You: I am here

Before I forget my manners and enter uninvited, I knock. The kitchen is empty, but the countertops are littered with empty beer cans and red plastic cups.

"Pans?" I call, craning my neck to look into the living room. Not a soul in sight.

But then I hear a sharp scream, followed by a loud splash and distant laughter. I follow the noises towards the garden and push open the glass door, behind which the Hogwarts royalty are cavorting in the pool.

Well, technically it's just Theodore, Pansy and Enzo. Astoria and cheerleader captain Daphne lie on yellow loungers in their bikinis while Adrian Pucey - a guy on the quidditch team - eyes them like they're lamb chops.

I stroll out of the house, nervousness settling in my stomach. Pans screams at Theodore for throwing her into the water fully clothed, but he just swims up to her with a smile, takes her in his arms and kisses her and she literally melts in his hands.

No one has noticed me yet.

I couldn't fit in here any less if I tried.
That's my keyword. I slowly back away, hoping to make it to my car before she notices me...

"Frey?" I recognize Pansy's voice. Fuck.

"Oh, hey." I wave awkwardly.

All eyes are on me.

"Did you just want to leave?" my best friend asks worriedly.

"What? No, I just wanted to get something to drink. Inside. Because I'm hot." I fan myself.

Very smooth. Fool.

"Not just you." Adrian Pucey pushes his sunglasses down his nose like the asshole he is.

I have to admit, the guy lives up to his reputation, could be a solid eight if he wouldn't sexualize everything within the blink of an eye.

Pansy comes out of the pool and goes straight to the cooler by the grill. Her soaked shorts that stick to her like a second skin, and her black hair is totally disheveled. Theo really got her good.

"What do you want? Beer? Icetea? We have everything."

"Iced tea sounds good."

"Here you go." She hands me a can of Arizona Iced Tea. "Crap, you don't have your swimsuit with you, do you?" I shake my head.