VI

Chapter VI : Just What Is The Reason For This?

Mel continued to comfort Xander, who slowly slept. His eyelids became heavier and he passed out from crying too much. He didn't like being in such a weak and fragile toddler's body. But he could only succumb to his fatigue.

Danae watched him doze off to sleep and stood up.

"Miss Mel, shall we go to the guest room? The prince is sleeping, he surely needs a proper rest."

Mel looked at Xander and noticed him sleeping. She nodded and carefully held Xander, carrying him cautiously. The sudden movement made Xander squirm and ended up holding onto Mel, wrapping his arms around her neck for support.

Danae led Mel to the nearest guest room. Since Mel's hands were full from carrying Xander, Danae opened the door for them. The room was clean and spacious. The white bed looked soft and comfortable. It was simple with a window, a table and chair, and a chandelier. Mel whispered a thanks to Danae as she slowly laid Xander on the bed.

"No need to thank me Miss Mel. This is the least I could do for the prince."

Mel's worries became lesser. Her heart felt relieved that the Queen seemed to like Xander. They two walked out of the room to give Xander some privacy, and to not wake him up.

Mel was about to bid the Queen farewell when she suddenly blurted out a thank you. This caught her off guard and became flustered.

"W-whatever do you mean? Your Majesty?"

"Thank you for taking care of the prince. I know that His Highness is having a hard time, now that the Emperor paid him atleast a bit of attention. And when he cried earlier, you were the first he called for. It was right for the previous Empress to pick you as the prince's personal assistant."

Mel smiled and shook her head.

"It's nothing, really, it is my job to take care of His Highness. I am only doing what I should do. This is nothing but the bare minimum."

"But... That bare minimum wasn't even done by the Emperor, his own father. Don't look down on yourself as such. You did more than just "taking care" of His Highness. You became his mother figure."

Mel's eyes teared up, she felt all the weight disappear. She always felt pressured, wether she did something wrong and Xander will grow up unwell. She had no one to blame but herself if it happens.

"Thank you, Your Majesty."

Danae smiled and hugged her. She then let her go when Mel calmed down.

"But! I won't lose to you, got that? I'll also do my best to take care of Xander."

Danae was busy after the Empress died. Being a replacement for the position buried her in so much work. She wanted to visit Xander but the Emperor forbid her to. The work kept piling up and when she finally took a rest, she had to bear the Emperor's child. Her body was weak during the pregnancy, and the royal physicians told her to stay in the castle.

Now that there was a possibility of Xander moving in the main castle, this made her feel happy. She could finally keep her promise to take care of her best friend's son.

Both ladies couldn't explain how relieved and happy they were.

Danae had excused herself. Holding her baby bump ever so carefully. She walked on the quiet hallway, face as dark as the sky outside the huge windows. It was yet early in the afternoon, but the clouds had already covered the light from the sun.

Upon reaching a room, she sighed. She looked at the door, it had the usual golden roses, but added to the middle was the full crest of the Terres Kingdom. The room looked to be owned by someone with a high position.

Danae held the door knob and took a deep breath. The slow turn of the knob turned into a loud slam. The harshly opened door revealed two men.

One was sitting, not bothered, with his legs crossed. Looking through a bunch of documents held in his hand. While the other turned his head to the sudden bang of the door. He seemed to be assisting the serious man. He stared at Danae awkwardly, beads of sweat visible on his forehead.

The Queen ignored him and stomped towards the desk and slammed her hands on the table. This action made Kristian, the one assisting, flinch. Her eyes saw the other's figure for a second but moved to focus on the man sitting.

"Honey."

Her voice was stern and menacing. Despite the affectionate nickname, it sounded more like a warning. Her glaring eyes looked at Kristian and raised her eyebrows. Fortunately he understood this gesture and went off to walk outside, not forgetting to close the doors.

The silent man put the papers down on the desk and his cold eyes looking through Danae's.

"My Queen, this Emperor wishes to remind that you are pregnant. I command you to calm down and not be careless if you do not wish to-"

Before he could finish his sentence, Danae cut him off. Her words made Lucas pause.

"We need to talk."

"What is there to talk about?"

He pretended to be oblivious by what she meant. This infuriated Danae more. He stood up and reached his hand to hold his wife's shoulders-

"You need to rest."

"Don't act innocent... Do you think just because you are the ruler, you can do anything you wish?"

However, Danae slapped away his touch. She turned her back towards him, but before she walked away, she whispered.

"Mari would be so disappointed of you."

Lucas, upon hearing this, did not move. He didn't stop Danae from angrily walking away. He was now in the room, alone. He held his head and ruffled his hair in frustration. He went back to his desk, about to reach his left documents, noticing a drawer that was not fully closed.

His hand shifted unconsciously to open, there, laid a picture. A lady with silky silver hair that was in a half bun, wearing a light blue dress. She had a smile that looked sweet and gentle, her eyes were mesmerizing. Her hands were holding onto her belly, the same way Danae does when she feels her baby in her stomach.

The woman in the picture appeared to be pregnant.

This lady was the previous Empress. Lucas' deceased wife, Marianne. His hand shakily took the picture, as if he was carefully picking up a priceless treasure. His eyes had pain inflicted on them, biting his lips to calm himself down. The grip from his hand became more stronger that the picture became a bit crumpled. He stopped, realizing what he had done.

He shakily covered his face and a while later, he hurriedly put the picture back to it's original place. He stared at the closed drawer with mixed emotions.

Guilt...

Anger...

Sorrow...

He couldn't calm his aching heart...

He could never forget what she had done to him.

That event had scarred him for life, a memory that was dug in the core of his brain.

When he had found out how his own wife hid her own pregnancy to him, her husband.