A Quick Guide to the Houses

Soul Dynasty:
Rules over the other four Houses. Empress Sorra is the head and in control.

House of Shadows:
They're in charge of the major military forces in Kalanai. Even though Lord Umbra is the general, the Empress and her orders come first. Shadow magic generally involves controlling shadows of varying degrees. They're also adept at sneaking around and spying.

House of Bone:
They are the craft-makers. Most furniture & weapons come from there. Lady Bone has her own rules, but the Bone House still answers to the Empress, although her loyalty may be slowly changing. Bone magic is manipulating physical objects, such as glass and wood. The nobles of their House are best with bone, though, so most sharp objects are made of it.

House of Blood:
They are the healers of the kingdom. Their power stems from blood, so most of them focus on that. They do answer to the Empress, but they first look to the Lord & Lady Blood. Loyalty is to their House first and foremost, then the empire. People born into the Blood House also have tougher skin and tend to be harder to kill.

House of Tears:
Agriculture & cloth come from there, most plant-based objects do. House of Tears has the best land for growing, and their aptitude for manipulating the elements, mainly water, helps to grow healthy crops. They keep mostly to themselves, as they're not needed as often as the other Houses. Some say there's a rebellion stirring there, but rumours can never be trusted, right?