Chapter Four: Mentoring a Mentor

"Well, Finnick, what do you think of this year's tributes?" Leahna asks me. By this point, Mags and I have been escorted back to the mentors' car--for now, anyway. "Things seemed to be going well, from what I hear?"

"They are," I tell her. "I can definitely work with them. Brynn--she's something. Her outlook on things isn't what I was expecting."

"Oh? And what were you expecting?"

"I don't know. A sad girl with no hope, I guess. But that wasn't her at all."

"What was she like, then, when you got to know her?"

I think for a moment, wanting to choose the right words. "She was willing to listen to me. Willing to accept help. I was trying to ask her about her strengths; I found out that she's fast, good at hiding--she outran a wolf once, apparently. So, she gave me things to work with."

Leahna looks astonished. "Did she, now? That is what she told you?"

I nod. "I didn't think I would say this, but she might have a chance, Leahna. I know that she's only 12 years old, but--maybe."

"Finnick, if you possess that genuine belief, if you genuinely believe that Brynn has a true chance, then she will, too," Leahna says, shockingly insightful. "Have you a similar attitude towards the male tribute, as well?"

"Sebastian?" I prompt. "Yes, I do. He knows how to use a spear; we're all fishermen back in Four. I'm going to train him, too. He knows that he has a chance with me; he said it himself."

"Well, it sounds like you're off to a wonderful start!" Leahna cheers. The grin on her face is broad and bright. "Typically, we let the tributes rest after meeting their mentor, but you are welcome to revisit them for a little bit. Perhaps work on fostering a relationship between them--camaraderie among district partners is very important. As I'm sure you remember."

Of course I remember. The friendship that I forged with Peony gave us each a purpose in the arena. We looked out for each other, fought together. In the end, she made a sacrifice that I can never repay. In mere seconds, she had analyzed an impossible situation and acted on her first instincts--to do something. And that something saved my life.

Without that camaraderie between us, I could be dead.

"They seem to get along with each other," I tell her. "And they both remarked on how Peony and I worked together. So I think they see the importance of it."

Mags shortly shows me a page written in her notebook. 'Make sure Sebastian, especially, understands. He is older, which may foster in him the belief that he doesn't need a companion. You were like that, once. But Brynn will need him. She may have a stronger attitude than many tributes her age, but when she enters the arena, everything will be different. She will seek him out, and if she finds herself alone, she could panic. Panic, in the Games, can be fatal.'

"I'm not sure, Mags. She didn't seem like the dependent type; you saw her. I don't think she'd panic; I think she'd just run."

Mags quickly scribbles another response. "It isn't about dependency. It is solely about age. I have watched countless Reaplings slaughtered during the Bloodbath, not fully comprehending the feeling of being alone in the arena. They freeze. These children are used to having their partner, or mentor, by their side, and suddenly, it is all taken away from them. I have seen children killed before they even realize what happened. I would have a conversation with Sebastian in private, at some point, about this. I believe Arias, last year, had a similar one with you.'

I remember that conversation. It was after the interviews with Caesar, where I told him that I planned to go solo in the arena. When we talked afterwards, Arias put the idea in my head that allying with Peony would be a good thing--it would show my loyalty, and we'd each have another person looking out for us. Later that night, I talked with Peony, and I promised that I would try to find her in the arena. And when I did find her, I remember how relieved I was. I never wanted to go it alone after that.