023

Chapter 023

"What authority do you have to speak to me?" His voice was cold. "The military is not under the jurisdiction of the Senate. As the supreme commander of the three armed forces, my status is equivalent to that of the Prime Minister. What decisions I make, what orders I give, what I demand to be included in the confidentiality regulations—why should you interfere?"

Devitt's voice had always been deep, and now, in a bad mood, his icy eyes narrowed. The oppressive aura of an S-rank esper instantly enveloped Cook and the others.

Among the group, those with slightly weaker abilities couldn't help but take a step back. The rest, under the formidable pressure, suddenly remembered who the person standing in front of them truly was.

Not yet forty and already sitting in the highest command position of the military, heavily armed with power, within a month, the unsolvable nature of the zerg poison had gradually faded Devitt from their view. The position of Marshal seemed to have become a virtual one in their eyes, and they had begun planning how to divide the huge military cake that would be available after Devitt's death. Such thoughts had persisted for so long that even when they heard about Devitt's return, they dismissed it.

A month of various reports on critical medical conditions, along with the information they gathered, the average lifespan of high-level espers, and Devitt's low-key return, seemed to make them forget who Devitt used to be.

The title of Iron-Blooded Marshal was not just for show. Devitt had never been soft, both externally and internally. Scenes from the past flashed through their minds, reminding them of who Devitt truly was. Even those who had dared to say threatening words a moment ago, feeling the residual pressure around them, found their legs somewhat weak.

"While what you're saying is true, as a Senate, we also have the power to supervise the military, including the responsibility to disclose certain unfavorable events publicly." Cook was different from the others.

He had never gotten along well with Devitt, and both being from different worlds, they found each other's words excessive. Additionally, Cook's strength and scheming were different from his colleagues. Although he felt an instinctual fear of the energy pressure, the temptation of interests was significant. Cook intuitively sensed he had found a massive breakthrough with Devitt.

Blue eyes squinted, full of calculations.

Devitt remained silent for two seconds and coolly glanced at him, "What do you want?"

An icy glare.

Cook's eyes lit up. Indeed, Devitt was an ordinary person after all. In his current situation, what he feared most was someone taking advantage of the month's gap to remove him from the position of Marshal. The matter of the zerg poison involved the lives of tens of thousands of soldiers still unconscious. Once it was revealed that he deliberately concealed information, it might expose all the hidden dangers Devitt had left in the military. After all, it was unlikely for any organization to be completely unified, and the other party clearly didn't want to see such a scenario. So, Cook's gamble had paid off.

Cook thought triumphantly, ran through his draft in his mind, and confidently began to speak, "Firstly, this contract beast..."

Eight words, exactly eight words, not a second more. Just as Cook confidently finished his eight words, Devitt directly turned around with the little fox, without even looking back. It was an utterly decisive turn, so decisive that it seemed he had no intention of listening to Cook's words!

No trace of courtesy left!

Cook was momentarily stunned, feeling as if his face had been slapped hard, a burning sensation lingering. He widened his eyes, hesitated for a while, but in the end, he didn't dare shout the words "stop" at Devitt's retreating figure. He could only grit his teeth, glare fiercely, and think angrily in his heart, you're only arrogant for now, thinking I can't handle you!