chapter four

- A VICTOR'S PRIVILEGE -

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

GETTING PAISLEY TO calm down that night was no easy feat, Nadia and the girl's father trying to comfort her into the late hours of the night. The sky had started to get lighter when Nadia finally started back towards her house, the blizzard not as violent as before.

Once stepping back inside, her brother clearly hadn't slept either and the moment he faced her with outstretched arms, Nadia was a mess.

She didn't like to cry. It made her feel weak. But she knew she was going back in that arena whether her name was called or not. Paisley's innocence may have taken many jabs, but there was still a light in her eyes that Nadia planned on preserving.

She didn't sleep well, only around thirty minutes throughout the whole night she was able to get any rest. She was too busy thinking about the reaping in the morning.

When the sun finally did rise, Nadia slowly went through the process of getting ready, trying to eat something even with a lack of appetite, and attempting to push away all the bad memories that resonated with her games.

It was a despondent sight the next morning as all five of the remaining victors stepped out of their houses where ten Peacekeepers were waiting to lead them to the town square.

Nadia and Paisley were in the front of their line while Apollo, Cyrus and Deon —the final male victor who won many years ago— took the rear. It was cold and mildly windy, but the blizzard had surpassed for the most part leaving an abundance of snow.

Approaching the square, Nadia stood straighter and plastered on a smile as the cameras pointed her way. Even if she died in that arena, any disliking Snow held for her would backlash on her family so she knew it was in her best interest to remain as that seductive image.

At the end of the aisle that held pity filled people on either side, stood Marjorie Vaughn, District Five's escort. She, like Nadia, was good at keeping her emotions in check and was able to fake a smile when she needed to. This time was different considering the bonds she's made with each of the victors over the years. Her smile was anything but sunshine and rainbows.

The men walked up onto the stage and stood on the right as Nadia and Paisley took their spot beside each other on the left behind the bowl that held only two pieces of paper. Albeit in Nadia's mind there was only one.

"Welcome. As we celebrate the seventy-fifth annual Hunger Games and the third Quarter Quell." Marjorie's normally chipper attitude had been dialed back as she cleared her throat. "As always... ladies first."

Slowly, she crossed the small space to the bowl like the few seconds she wasted would somehow elongate the time and make her not have to do this.

With a card in hand, she glanced between the girls to show them her sympathy before she was in front of the microphone again.

"The female tribute for District Five..." Marjorie flashed her pearly, white teeth to the crowd halfheartedly before opening the card and announcing the name on the page. "...Paisley Quinn."

Paisley's expression went from fear to sorrow very quickly as tears cascaded down her face relentlessly. Alas, she remained silent knowing image is everything for sponsors and she was trying desperately to stay strong.

There wasn't a second thought from the moment Snow announced the Quarter Quell, Paisley was not going back into the arena. Nadia took a step forward and with a loud voice, she sealed her fate.