Prologue

Under the howling leaf-bare winds, a dark tabby crouched by his pale, dusky brown mate. "Please just eat something," he pleaded. "Don't make me stuff it down your throat."

The cat gave a weak purr. "How much is there left on the fresh-kill pile?"

The tabby's voice dropped, shaking with frustration. "A couple of frozen birds." How could that be all his cats had to eat this season? The cats put under his care, who he was responsible for?

"Give it to Ravenspring." The small brown she-cat pushed his paw away, forcing a smile." The cold can't be good for his old bones, anyway." She spoke fondly of her old mentor.

The tabby frowned, then listened as a low grumble came from his mate's stomach. She was hungry. He knew she loved the Clan just as much as him, that she would do anything to protect them. Even give up what little food she could have eaten to the other cats.

Tears sprang to his eyes. "You haven't eaten for days."

His mate gave a low, resolute sigh as she took a bite of the bird he gave her. A smile curled her lips, but he saw her ribs showing clearly through her pelt and knew that she was almost starved to death. There was no saving her. No! Of course there is, she just needs to eat!

"I'm sorry, my love." The dusky she-cat almost sounded weaker now, her voice heavy. "We have never encountered such a hard leaf-bare, and I have lived many good seasons. The Clan will live on for seasons and seasons more." She managed to touch her nose to his before the life faded from her blue eyes and her head fell to the reed-woven nest.

A cry engulfed him as he watched, burying his nose in her still-warm fur. His heart felt like it had shattered into a million pieces. Maybe, just maybe, there was still a herb that would save her? A herb that would bring life back, just for a few more moments, so he could see her alive again.

He did not know how long he lay there, lapping at her fur, barely acknowledging his belly's own cry of hunger. Only when a cat padded to the entrance did he turn his eyes away.

"Is there anything you can do?" His words were a choked plea.

The other cat frowned and shook his head. "She's dead," he said in an infuriatingly calm voice. "I can only prepare the herbs for the vigil."

The tabby's blue eyes flashed. "What kind of medicine cat are you? The Clan is suffering this leaf-bare, and you can't even help them. Why didn't you make her eat something? She would have listened to you." He spat the words out. Maybe they weren't true, but it was easier having someone else to blame. Anger flared like fire in his brain.

"I do what I can," the black-and-brown tom mewed in the same annoyingly matter-of-fact way.

The tabby tom lashed his tail against the tall grass. He couldn't let any cat suffer like this again, the way they had all been this season. He was going to do everything in his power to make sure no one died like this again. His throat raw with grief, he padded outside, paws as heavy as stone.

Still he forced himself to keep moving. To do something, anything to ease the situation, since the mouse-hearted medicine cat was clearly incapable of that.

I promise I'll continue to take care of them for you.

***

The sunhigh clouds drifted lazily over the wide canopy of leaves overhead, scarcely representing Oakstar's pounding heart as Duskstar and Driftstar emerged from the bushes into the Gathering Place. Fresh grass covered in red and amber leaves swayed beneath their paws as they made their way into the tall grass of Threesteps. Greenleaf will be ending soon, Oakstar noted.