00 | we're all mad here

PROLOGUE — WE'RE ALL MAD HERE

"John's staying with me." — john winchester

JJ WINCHESTER WAS NOT WHAT YOU WOULD CALL AN ORDINARY CHILD

He spent his days cooped up in a motel room, scribbling cartoon drawings and strange symbols across his stack of paper. Him and his twin brother — Sam — would wait for their Father to return all the while being looked after by their older brother: Dean. Dean was only eight, but he cared for his little brothers more than their Father did.

The Winchester lifestyle wasn't normal either, but the twins didn't know about that just yet. They just thought their Father was a simple travelling salesman, having no idea that their Father was really a hunter who fought the creatures of the night. Dean knew though. And he wouldn't tell his brothers, his Dad had forbidden it.

Sam was sat in front of the television, watching an episode of Scooby Doo that Dean had put on. But JJ, he was once again scrawling strange symbols no one could decipher — not even his Father. John Winchester first believed the symbols to be nonsense, but when JJ's consistent drawings began to show some sort of logical pattern, John started to reconsider. But he hadn't yet figured out what they meant or why his son seemed to be the only one who knew about them.

Whispers echoed in the four-year-old's head as he scratched down the symbols. It was like he was a conduit for the whispers, because even though he was scribbling down their words into symbols, he couldn't understand what they were saying. This had been happening for as long as the child could remember. Dean glanced at his younger brother with concern as he seemed to go into some sort of trance.

It may have been a common occurrence for JJ, but that didn't mean Dean wasn't worried. Because he was, every time.

"Hey, JJ." He spoke up, trying to gain his attention. But JJ didn't tear hid gaze from his paper. "Hey, you've gotta eat something." Still JJ made no sign of response and just kept scribbling away. Alarm rised up inside Dean as panic flared in his eyes. He rushed over to JJ's side making Sam look away from Scooby Doo to watch Dean crouch down beside his twin. Dean peered over JJ's shoulder to find the exact same thing he always did. He placed a hand upon the boy's shoulder and tried to shake him from his trance. "JJ, come on." Nothing. "Junior, snap out of it!"