REAPED

I woke up with a jolt. I immediately sat up. I touched my arm. Sweat. I got out of my bed and went to the bathroom.

I cleaned myself up. I rinsed my face and cleansed my body.

I went back to my room to get a reaping outfit. I had three possible dresses. Although it was easy to see which one was the best option. One was too small, One had almost all of its color drained out of it. The other one didn't have either of those problems but it was a little uncomfortable at the waist.

I picked the uncomfortable one, obviously. It was the prettiest one anyways. I slipped it on quickly. I put a hair clip in my rusty red curls.

I looked in my half broken mirror. I looked good enough.
I brushed my dress with my hands quickly. I took one last look in the mirror before going downstairs.

“I'm ready!” I yelled as I jumped down the stairs.

My mom waited with breakfast.
“There's my soon-to-be-victor!” “Yeah, what if I don't get reaped?” “Then, you're a lucky girl! You've got 15 slips in there!” “Don't remind me.” I told her briskly.

Mike came downstairs next. “Oh, Mike, you're so handsome!” She exclaimed. I looked at her. My mom was strange. Saying I'll be a victor but then warning me about being in the arena? Odd.

Iris came down last. She was 18 and only took tesserea twice. Once I came of age the responsibility fell on me. Then we got richer and didn't need to anymore.

Our mother gestured for us to sit and eat. We had about 40 minutes before the reaping.
I sat down. Freshly made banana bread and fruit sat on table.

I grabbed two slices of banana bread and a small scoop of the fruits. Which was just pears, watermelon, and blueberries. Some of the cheapest fruit out there.

I watched Mike gnaw on the bread. I basically slurped up the fruit, so I can't say it pained me too watch him.

Once I finished my food I took care of plate. I mean, like a normal person would do.

I walked over to the door. “About 15 minutes, let's go.”

I slipped on my boots. I sat down to tie them. “Mike, stop gnawing and just eat normally!” I heard my mom scold him. I hastily tied them and stood back up.

“C'mon guys.” I opened the door. “If we don't go now, we'll be gunned down for being late.” Iris finished tying her shoes and rolled her eyes at me. Mike kept messing up his laces.

My mom bit her lip.  “You guys go, I'll help him.” She bent down to help Mike. Iris and I closed the door and started walking over.

I saw the lines, the Peacekeeper swarms, the age groups. I saw all of it. A Peacekeeper walked to Iris and me. He put his hand on the gun in his holster. “Get in line.”

“Oh, sorry sir. Don't get mad, I just arrived a few seconds ago.” I warned him. I looked him up and down for a second before turning away. “Next.” We shifted closer to the Peacekeeper.  “Name.” I heard a cry from the girl. “Sir, please take her away.” “No!” I saw a Peacekeeper drag the girl away. “Next.” Even closer. “Name.”

After a minute or two I stood in front of the Peacekeeper. “Name.” “Sophie Easton.” He grabbed a piece of paper with my name and laid it out on the table. He grabbed my wrist.

He picked up his little needle and pricked my finger. He then tugged it down. “Next.” I walked away and took a breath.

I huddled into the 16 years old age group. Some girls glared at me and some didn't. Most of the girls looked depressed and empty though.

I looked up on stage. Wiress and Beetee took seats. Our escort, Thalia shuffled something while standing in front of the microphone.

“Hello District 3! Are you excited for the 74th Annual Hunger Games?” A few boos were heard from the crowd.

“Alrighty, well time for a video that was sent all the way from The Capitol!” She pressed a button and the video started going.

Explaining the Hunger Games was the point of it. But it was still dumb. All it said was a long the lines of, War. Found peace. But as punishment death sentence of children killing each other! Only one tribute remains out of 24. Then some other stupid words.

“Amazing!” She closed her eyes for brief second. “Ladies first!” She dipped her hand in the bowl. Slowly swirling her hand around. She buried her hand to the bottom of the bowl and picked a slip. “The female tribute for the hunger games is...”  She unfolded the paper. “Sophie Easton!”

I choked. I literally choked. I looked up at the stage. “Where are you Sophie?” The girls around me started moving away. I unfroze and stepped out of the age groups, making sure to smack Annabeth Haine in the shoulder. She gave me a glare.

She deserved it, though. She was a terrible person and has been begging her ‘daddy’ to get rid of me. So, of course I'm pulled for the 74th Hunger Games.

As I finally stepped out some Peacekeepers grabbed me. They pulled me away from Annabeth until I was close to the stage. They sent me away with a rough push. “C'mon dear, don't be shy.” She waved her hand gesturing for me to come onto the stage.

I slowly stepped up. Thalia nodded at me. “As for the boys...” She dipped her hand into other glass bowl. Swirling her hand around yet again.

I caught Mike glancing at me. I gave him a nod indicating that it was alright. “Chase Nelson!” She rung out. I saw a boy with black hair step out of the crowd.

He walked up to stage quicker than me, seemingly wanting to get it over with. Thalia smiled and stepped back.

“Alright, now shake hands.” He reached out his hand. I grabbed it and shook it. “Give it up for our tributes!” Nobody clapped. Just booed all over again.

“Alright now, get in your rooms.” She tapped our backs indicating for us to move along.