THE ROOM WHERE IT HAPPENED

I walked into the room. One singular chair was in it, there were no windows, but there was a light.

I sat down. “Ten minutes.” A Peacekeeper told me.

Mike ran in. “Promise me that you'll win!” “I'll try my best.” “Promise!” “Ok, I promise that I will win and come back.” He gave me a quick hug. “I can't lose you.”

“I can lose you either buddy.” I hugged him back. He then left.

The next person was my mom. “I believe in you.” She stated. “We didn't teach you anything for nothing.”

I nodded. “Hopefully it helps me.” She smiled then left.

The third person to come in was Alice Bonar. Her father had close connections to the mayor.

She held a pin in her hand. “What's that?” I asked. “I want to wear it in the arena.” She told me. We were hardly even friends and she wanted me to wear her pin?

“It’s a Jabberyjay.” “Jabberjay? The birds that used to copy words?” “Yeah, an old muttation of the Capitol. Now it's more of a district thing than Capitol though.”

I nodded. She handed the pin to me. “Thank you.” She smiled. “I'm betting on you.”

A fourth and final person came in. My best friend, Mackenzie Hayes.

“Please... You have to win.” “I'm planning on it.” I told her swiftly. She came closer to me to hug me.

“Look, my parents didn't teach me everything I know for nothing.” I explained. “Yeah, and what if it wasn't enough!?” She burst out. “Mac, be serious.” “What if a girl from District 2  or— What, what if a career kills you?” “They won't.” I whispered to her.

She was on the edge of crying. “You have so many people who care about you, Sophie.” A Peacekeeper burst in. “Time's up.” Two more came in after.

One dragged Mackenzie out of the room, the other two grabbed my arms. They pulled me to the train.

Once we reached it, because it's not far from the rooms, they gave me a push. I fell due to it.

I heard a Peacekeeper laugh. “Where are your girlfriends?” I asked them. One whipped his head around. He patted the other one's back then they walked away.

I stood up and wiped my self off. “Hunger games here I come...” I managed to grumble to myself.