Chapter 31

Emboldened by the orfolk fleeing on sight, Dyll's confidence waned as he continued through the narrow dark crawl space, clawed out between the stonework of the Guildhall. His keen eyes picked up even the faintest of light that found its way into these narrow cracks, and where that failed his sensitive whiskers picked out the slightest nuance in pressure.

All about him in the dark he could hear the scurrying and scratching of little paws against crumbling mortar. Odd shapes moved in the dark, they looked at him, regarding him for a few seconds, before turning about and fleeing deeper into the shadows.

Keeping Rune close, he pushed on through the tight crawlspace. In places it opened out, but in truth it was comparable to a long, tight, dark cave. He The path dived down sharply, the faint glow of daylight just highlighted the path below. Dyll reached out and placed his hand against the wall, recoiling suddenly to the familiar, yet unexpected touch of aetherforms. As he pulled away they broke apart into a thin mist that flickered.

"I guess there's only one way we can go." Thought Dyll, with his hand on Rune, "What do you think?"

"Some encouragement would be real good right now." He said, patting Rune gently.

Having come this far, he ought to see what was at the end of the tunnel. If nothing else, he could simply turn back. He took a breath and hopped along the path, landing below he slowly crawled onwards, his ears picking up odd distant whispers. He tried to focus on the voice, but it seemed so distant. He continued cautiously, reaching the light at the end of the tunnel.

Dyll stepped out onto the top of a wardrobe sitting directly in front of the hole. His eyes adjusted as the whispering cut off instantly, as though disrupted by him. He found a few of the odd orfolk gathered on top of the wardrobe, now staring at him, as though interrupted. Before he could say anything, they scattered. Scaling the walls to the rafters above, and scurrying across the room. Dyll leapt after them, only then seeing what they were watching below.

The small room he was now in housed Rosalyne who stood staring out a window towards the towers. With her, were who two guards. Dyll slowly made his way along the rafters, watching the odd orfolk disappear into a shaded corner. He glanced back down and caught sight of the box. This instantly brought him to a standstill.

Rosalyne paced across the room, to the box, and back to the window. Her mind was racing and she'd lost the normal calm about her.

"Leave me," she said, to the guards.

The two looked to one another, as though unsure.

"Go!" she demanded.

They bowed their heads and left Rosalyne in the room alone. She seemed so anxious, so wound up that she could not sit. Pacing across the room back and fore from a dresser upon which the box sat, to the window overlooking the library and towers.

She stood for a moment, looking at her reflection in the window, and at the end of a defeated sigh, she turned, took the box and left. With the room empty, Dyll's attention returned to the odd orfolk of Langsine. He leapt upon the rafters and rushed along to follow them into the shadows, continuing his intrepid investigation.

The door of the apartment opened. Euol walked in with speed and made his way straight to the balcony. Something about that whole situation had shaken him to the core and he wanted to clear himself of the sickly sweet incense that hung in the air, and all around him. Ahna, now unsure of a plan going forwards, stepped into the room expecting to see Dyll.

"Dyll?" she called, spying the bags they'd left on the seat.

Sybble stepped out to check on Euol, leaving Ahna to inspect the bags. Seeing the bags knocked about, their contents scattered close by, instantly brought her back to the orfolk in Higard.