[ 01 ]

CHAPTER ONE; I

CHAPTER ONE; I.
[ season 1, episode 1 ]

The drive was nostalgic. It reminded her of all the time she spent in the Outer Banks as a kid. Rory would never admit it, but last year, all she could think about was here. She drove along the roads with ease, knowing the routes ever since she was young, the breeze that ran through her hair, the waves, the friends, she was glad to be back.
Rory glances down at the glove compartment before looking back up at the road. Ultimately, she gives in and reaches down to open it. With one hand on the steering wheel, she cranks it open, rummaging her hand through the contents. Once she feels her dad's small paper box, she shuts the compartment. Rory opens his box and reaches her fingers in blindly. She pulls out a cigarette and lets the container fall into the empty cup holder. The girl places it on her lips and grabs the lighter from the dash, igniting the cigarette instantly. She believes the arrival of Rory in Outer Banks deserves a smoke.

She pulls over into a gravel driveway, her gravel driveway. It's a medium-sized Kook house with walls painted cream and columns standing free. Rory looks to it with furrowed brows, it was too big for the two of them. She scans the rest of the street while opening the door, and begins to walk towards the trunk of her dad's car. He hadn't come with her, of course. He let his 16-year-old daughter drive 5 hours alone, claiming he'd come the next day. Rory's learned how to do a lot by herself this year, moving her things into the house will be a breeze.

───

When all is done, she is practically sweating. Rory bends over and unzips her luggage, pulling out a pair of shorts and a bathing suit. Once she's changed, she quickly packs a bag of necessities. A book, some money, sunscreen, an extra shirt, and her house keys. She leaves out the front door,   and spends three minutes trying to lock it. She shakes her head, it was much easier to unlock.

As she jams the key in different angles, someone calls out, "Rory?" It's a male voice, one she could recognize anywhere.

She turns in surprise, there he stands, at the front of her driveway, smiling widely. "John B!" He's wearing a purple bandana around his neck, and his hair is just as messy as she remembers it. They walk towards each-other and embrace in a hug.

"I didn't realize you were coming today. Wow...nice house." John B speaks into her hair, staring up at the cream walls.

She pulls away, "it's huge and horrible. I cant even figure out how to lock it!" Rory raises her arms in frustration but he just laughs.

"Here, let me try." John B motions her to hand him the keys, and she does. The two walk back to the door.

"So, what are you doing in the neighbourhood?" She asks, knowing that he lived on the other side of town, just as she had.