XXX

"I already told you that only now I have time to come," I whined, my voice ringing through the phone as it reached the other end.

"You should train today. Now is the ideal time to work on your technique more," her tone was sharp as she instructed me to follow her advice.

"I've trained enough so far. I'm exhausted," I continued, my heavy footsteps echoing through the hallways of Jujutsu High.

"The individual event is this week. Even if it got delayed, that still doesn't give you enough time to work harder on..."

"I know, I know," I interjected her speech, rolling my eyes at our conversation.

"This part is the important one, Y/N. You'll be the one in the spotlight. I only want the best for you, and I want you to win," she continued, her voice softening as she talked.

"Stop worrying, grandma. It doesn't do you any good," I mentioned, patting Mika on the head.

My grandmother's soft sighs could be heard from the other end as she clearly disapproved of my way of doing things.

"Besides, I'll definitely win again!" I exclaimed, walking downstairs as my vision glanced over the translucent glass of the window, colouring the picture of the front gate of the school.

"I'll be there in 10," I assured her but was met with only silence.

"Grandma?"

"Hello?" I began saying, moving around to catch some better signal.

"Sweet...heart...I..."

"Hey, are you good? The reception is kinda off," I muttered, taking my phone away from my ear as I stared at it.

"Y/N...!" my grandmother's voice suddenly shot into my ears before the call ended abruptly, making my heart race as many awful thoughts crossed my mind in a fraction of a second.

My body began shaking as my heart sank into my stomach, leaving behind only a dried-up throat that was now burning me.

I shifted my eyes at Mika who was feeling the same type of uneasiness as myself. Then, without exchanging any words, I dashed downstairs as the tiger hurried to follow me.

It could really be nothing, but, I can't be sure. Not before I see it for myself.

I mumbled, stepping on the creaking wooden staircase of the school. Suddenly, my foot slipped as if my weight was something that it could not carry any longer, leading to my ungraceful tumble. My body tried, in a desperate attempt, to regain balance, but it was in vain. The echo of each thud against the steps resonated through the empty corridor, amplifying the embarrassment of the situation.

"Wha-?!"

I felt my head spinning, dizzy thoughts racing through my mind like a whirlwind, the pain pulsating with each throb.

"Ouch, ouch, ouch," I cried, holding that side of my head, trying to soothe the pain somehow.

"Are you two alright?" Someone asked with concern in his tone, panicking at the scene before him.

"Two?" I mumbled, softly opening my eyes.

My gaze met his as one of his hands reached out, touching my face.

"Are you hurt?" his worried brows frowned and only then I managed to realised it.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry," I began apologising, quickly standing up over his body.

But, as I did that, a sharp pain ran along my leg, forcing me to crumble back down. My heavy frame crushed him as my head landed on his chest.

"Gah!" the man underneath me let out a sound as the air from his lungs quickly come out to the surface due to my fall.