7

The day arrived for Alexandra to undergo a series of physical and psychological tests, a necessary step to determine her readiness to leave SHIELD and move in with Maria. Maria couldn't shake a sense of unease, her concern for Alex's well-being present. It terrified her what Alex's reaction was going to be, what if this triggered her?

In a sterile examination room, Alex faced a battery of tests that measured her physical abilities—swimming, breath-holding, endurance, reflexes, and even hand-to-hand combat skills. The psychological evaluation delved into the intricacies of her mind, probing the effects of her past experiences, especially the trauma inflicted by the Red Room, although they did not manage to get much as Alex only gave one-word answers.

As the tests unfolded, Maria waited anxiously outside the examination room, pacing outside of the door. The door finally swung open, and a stern-faced psychologist emerged, carrying a folder with the results.

"Deputy Director Hill," the doctor greeted, nodding toward Maria. "We've completed the assessments. Can we discuss the results?"

Maria nodded, her gaze never leaving the folder. "Yeah, tell me."

The doctor took a deep breath before sharing the findings. "Physically, Alexandra demonstrates remarkable abilities. Her reflexes are above average, and her combat skills are exceptional. However, we did uncover a couple of injuries that never properly healed, we would recommend getting those checked in case they cause discomfort ."

Maria's jaw clenched at the mention of the unhealed injuries, but she urged the psychologist to continue.

"Psychologically, we've identified symptoms consistent with post-traumatic stress disorder," the doctor explained. "It's not surprising given her background. She may experience flashbacks, nightmares, and the rest of the effects are in this folder." The doctor said, handing Maria a blue folder, Alex's name printed in the top corner, "Here are the likely effects, potential triggers, breathing exercises, essentially everything you'll need to help her."

Maria's concern deepened, her protective instincts kicking in. "What does this mean for her moving in with me?"

The doctor offered a measured response, "It means she'll need ongoing support and understanding. Regular therapy sessions would be beneficial, and a stable, environment. We would also recommend making your home, alcohol-free, smoke-free, and drug-free, as addiction is one of the effects of PTSD."

Maria nodded, her mind already formulating a plan to ensure Alex's well-being. "Anything else?"

"We recommend a gradual transition. Sudden changes can trigger anxiety and exacerbate her symptoms. It's important to establish trust and a sense of security. If you plan on introducing her to people, do it gradually and check with her before."

Maria took a deep breath. "I understand."

The doctor offered a sympathetic smile. "Your support will be crucial, Agent Hill. In the right environment and care, Alexandra has the potential to lead a normal life. You might want to go talk to her," the doctor signaled to the door.

After the doctor left, Maria took a moment to collect her thoughts before entering the examination room where Alex waited. The air inside felt charged with tension as Maria closed the door behind her, her eyes meeting Alex's curious yet guarded gaze.

"Alex," Maria began, "we need to talk about the results of the tests."

Alex shifted uncomfortably, her eyes darting away for a moment before returning to meet Maria's gaze. "What did they say?" She hated psychiatrists, she was convinced people only became them because they were messed up in the first place.