1. in too deep

You almost worshipped him.

It wasn't because of his status – although, that certainly played a role in it all – and it wasn't because of his bank statements.

No. Phillip Graves was one of the best men you'd ever known.

Or so you had thought.

Turns out, no matter how well he looked after his men – his 'girl' – and no matter how charismatic he was, that wouldn't, couldn't change his roots. And, at those very roots, was decay. Evil in its most purest of forms; a tantalisingly devastating mix of every sin.

The most prevalent one?

Greed.

He was a greedy, greedy man, and he would stop at nothing to have it all. Even if he knew the fall out; even if he knew that he could never go back to the man he once was.

Phillip Graves didn't care. Not in the slightest.

And it was you that would pay the ultimate price.

*

Rain beats down your back in heavy sheets as you stand, the harsh night littered with flashlights and car sirens.

It's cool, just this side of too cold, and it has the hairs on the back of your neck rising with the temperature.

The temperature, and...

"Yup-yup," the two men to your right call into their comms. You remain silent, but it goes unnoticed. Your eyes are trained to the paved street, rippling with the rainwater, littered with streaks of red.

Blood stains this town, and you haven't done anything to stop it.

"Let's go."

Raising your head, you meet the eyes of the operative who, ranks-wise, is below you. Really, you should be reprimanding him for his quip, but you understand the annoyance. You're being quiet – something quite unusual for your normally direct and authoritative nature.

Tightening your grip around the shiny, water-slicked gun in your hand, you give him a sharp nod in response.

Seemingly satisfied, he turns, and you follow him along the sidewalk of the narrow, stone streets. Shops line either side of the area, their front-windows smashed and the products inside thrown about.

It's like your heart has launched itself into your throat, the constant thrum of it setting your nerves alight.

"Three-zero, I want you and your two to find those Brits. We've got the cops. Copy?"

That once reassuring, adoring voice is now cold, void of any emotion he used to have. It makes tears burn at the back of your vision – if you were a weaker woman, they'd have fallen. Instead, you press down the button for your comms.

"Copy, Sir. Three-zero out."

The fact that you manage to get those words out is a feat in and of its own.

It feels as though you're lost at sea, with nothing to hold onto. Buoyant, but barely – every wave threatening to pull you under for good. To smother your silent cries for help, for guidance, for something to keep you grounded.

But there is no sea, and there is no support.

"You two go up ahead, I'll search the house here," you say, voice thick with demand. You didn't have to decide anything right now. You just had to be the leader you were, and do what you've always done.

"Copy," your two subordinates say, moving up further.

With their absence, you find that you can breathe – as if a weight has been lifted off of your chest, and you can finally fill your lungs.