2. don't leave me to bleed

Turns out, as much as water is wet, Soap likes to talk.

"Bloody Shadows," he grunts under his breath. You'd given him your knife, so he could help you take down the men searching the tunnels. Now, after killing one, he's got a weapon not unlike your own. In one hand, he wipes off the bloody knife on his thigh and slides it into his belt, and in the other, he checks over the stolen gun.

The water soaks your calves, a cloud of blood and a body along with it floating behind you both. Taking another step forward, the water ripples, the weight of it pulling as you continue to move forward, Soap at your flank.

"Your men feckin' suck at their jobs, lass," your new companion hisses, low enough not to echo but loud enough to have you rolling your eyes.

"They're not used to this kind of fighting. It's not their fault." You're not exactly sure why you're defending them, when you're decidedly betraying your entire unit, but you feel obligated to anyway.

"Or you're just a bad Lieutenant."

You shoot him an annoyed glance. "Wrong. I'm not a Lieutenant, Sergeant."

You knew of his title because of something Ghost had said earlier, his voice carrying loud enough through the earpiece in the quiet of the shops. It suited him, in a way you couldn't quite explain, just as the smell of the sea felt like more of a home than any building you'd encountered.

Keeping your head forward, you miss the roll of Soap's eyes, and the flexing of his hand around the knife at his waist.

"Sorry, Corporal," he retorts, and you bristle.

"Colonel will do," you snap back, quickening your pace but keeping your movements quiet as you spot the shadows of your men up ahead. Stretching your hand out, you encourage Soap to pause.

Soap scoffs. "Dinnae think you're above me."

You go to continue the petty argument, when –

"Graves has lost his fucking mind over his chick." A Shadow says around the curved corner, and Soap stops as you do. You see a flash of red, their flashlight, up ahead, and pull Soap's shirt to stand with you against the wall.

"How much do you bet she's found out about another girl he's got goin' on the side?"

Your chest constricts, and your body feels as though it's frozen in time. Soap's hand comes up to remove your grip on his shirt, and you don't make a single argument or movement against it.

"That, or she's gone to find another superior to fuck," the other replies.

Within one moment, and the next, you pull your knife back from the sheath on Soap's belt, and take a massive, sweeping step to your right.

It's not a second later that the knife has flung from your fist, and met the neck of one of the gossiping Shadows. Blood spurts out of his neck, and he quickly finds himself falling forwards onto his knees, and then effectively being pulled by the motion of the flood.

"What the –" The other starts, but in one click, you've pressed the silencer onto the end of your gun, flicked off the safety and shot a bullet into the back of his head.

Your hands do not tremble. You don't even make a noise.

Soap does, though, just as the sun is set to rise.

"Christ, lass, that was clean," he says under his breath, before letting out a low, impressed whistle. "Colonel it is."

You don't respond. Instead, you just put your knife back into its rightful spot in your vest, flip on the safety, and continue to wade down the tunnel.