8. honey, hell is when i fight with you

Chicago looks stunning, at this time of night.

Some windows shining with artificial light, the odd shop sign lit with neon colour. Driving alongside the river, you watch as the water ripples, knowing that Gaz and a team of Marines will be down there. Next time you get a chance, you'll ask him if he has a surfboard or two.

It's cool, in the SUV, Laswell behind the wheel while you sit in the passenger's side. A laptop sits on your thighs, running hot against the cargo, opened to a screen you can't even begin to understand.

"First, we find the missile," she says, eyes focused on the road as she manoeuvres down the quiet late night streets. Soft music plays from the radio – a way to steady you both more than anything. "Then, once this is over and the boys are getting ready to head back to base, we'll talk."

"Just worry about, y'know," you start pulling your hair back, "Saving lives, and shit."

Laswell hums, amused, and you figure it's as good as a laugh coming from the put-together woman. From what you know of Sarah, they seem to be a perfect match.

Your window's down, the past-midnight breeze brushing your face. It's cool, leaving your hair to stand on end and lips to feel dry. Swiping your tongue against your bottom lip, you look to the rearview mirror, seeing nothing but road and city behind you.

It's then that the laptop starts flashing, a red dot pinning a warehouse shed three blocks from where the two of you are driving. Laswell immediately looks to it, switching her radio on in the next moment.

"Watcher-One to Bravo-Six Actual. Perimetre is secure. We have a possible hit on the missile container. We're moving in now," she reports, steadfast, as her foot presses down further on the accelerator. You wind your window up, looking between the laptop screen and her.

There were many different conditions to experience, when being trained for Special Forces, or a position of leadership. It wouldn't always be as simple as being given a building to raid and neutralise, or having a detonator in one hand and a pack of ammunition in another. Sometimes, there were covert missions, ones where no fighting or blood would be necessary.

But you could say with absolute, complete certainty that you'd never experienced something like this.

It's somehow more exhilarating, more terrifying than any sniper's scope focused on you, to be sat beside Laswell with the task to find a missile. Even when you don't have to do anything but watch, listen, it makes your blood run cold where it trails from your heart.

Laswell's eyes are narrowed, a determined glean to them as she pushes down on the accelerator further, the speed of which she's driving sending spikes of adrenaline to your heart.

"For what it's worth," you say, looking to her from your peripheral vision, the lights of the city cascading her skin in an array of colours, "I believe in you. All of you. You're going to save lives, Laswell. I know it."

She doesn't respond, but her frame eases, and her fists loosen slightly from the wheel, her knuckles quickly gaining their colour once more.

The laptop starts flashing once more, vibrating, too, and when Laswell quickly scans the contents, she slams her palm against the wheel with a hiss. Your eyes go wide, heart pounding in your chest, foot going tap tap tap.

"Watcher-one, we're on the target floor. What's your status?" Price's voice crackles through the radio, and the sudden rumble of the earth beneath the vehicle is felt down to your bones.

You're not a specialist in missiles, or technology, for that matter.

But you can guess that this isn't exactly good.