3. Description

Today I'm going to talk about describing things, why it's so important, and how to describe things!! 😋😋

🐧Why is describing things so important in a story?
-Description is one of the most important things a writer has to know, it helps your readers know what's going on and it helps them visualize the story better! Without proper description your readers will be very confused on what's happening and everything in general.

🌿Important things to describe:
-Location
-Actions (what the characters are doing)
-Ambience
-Weather (optional)
-Objects
-Expressions/Feelings

Location: Tell us about the location, tell us where the characters are or where the situation or story is happening. Explain what you can see in this location, weather also works really well with this point. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is it sunny? Windy? Stormy? Etc..

Actions: Your readers can't really understand what's happening if you don't tell them what the characters are doing! If you want to write out a dialogue or monologue you'll have to make sure the readers know who's talking, if the person talking is doing something at the same time (Examples: holding something, moving around, standing still, looking around, writing, etc..) you don't have to describe an action after every word a character says of course, most of the time you can just simply say:
"A coffee would be nice." ___ said.

(Here are a few more words for "said" so you won't have to repeat it all the time: asked, questioned, whispered, stated, offered, ordered, requested, retorted, muttered, mumbled, cheered, chimed, exclaimed, yelled, shouted, started, added, stuttered..)

Ambience: Take it like this, an ambience is something like the vibe of the scene. For example, which feelings does this place give the character/s? How is the ambience? (Gloomy, foggy, dark, bright, nostalgic..) The ambience can help the readers imagine the situation much better and understand how the characters are feeling. Sometimes this ambience can change the characters' feelings. From happy to sad, or vise versa.

Objects: Objects can be described whether a character interacts with them or if they're simply in the location. Is the object round? Sharp? Dull? Soft? Hard? Colorful? Some sort of shape? Which color is it? Etc..
Sometimes a character interacting with said object can trigger a memory, or flashback.

Expressions/Feelings: I can't even begin to describe how important these are, feelings should always be described. It helps the reader sympathize with your character. Face expressions also help, sometimes you don't have to say the emotion they're feeling, you can show it.
☟︎

Anger: clenching fists, furrowing brows, tapping foot
Sadness: Frowning, head hanging low, puffy eyes or on the verge of tears, shameful look
Nervous/Embarrassed: Flustered, fidgeting with their hands or clothes/accessories, avoiding eye contact, looking around
Scared/Anxious: Wide eyes, trembling/shaking, hiding, becoming pale, hyperventilating/struggling to breathe
Shock: Wide eyes, gawking, hands over mouth, speechless
Happy: Smiling, bouncing back and forth on their heel, not being able to sit still, energetic, excited..