Tired

Staring at the list of people, Doctor McCoy, or Bones as he preferred to be called, sunk lower into his chair.

This was the list of all the people susceptible to what that girl just died of. Radiation, but tumours.

About a hundred people were on this list, including Scotty himself.

"I've got to see them all," he said in a grizzly, tired voice.

The man on the other side of the desk also had a look of worry and guilt- as if he took responsibility for those actions even though he did not cause them.

"Do what you have to Bones," the Captain said.

To an observer, the scene would probably seem melodramatic, but only the two men at 2 am in the morning could grasp the concept of what had happened hours before.

It was only a matter of time, before more and more people would die, the Captain thought silently.

I should wait until I see more of them to know if this is as big of an issue as it might be, the surgeon repeated in his mind.

Formal incident reports were to be written, the deceased's family was to be informed, the engineering deck was to be closely monitored, and all in the area were to be screen for tumours and other irregularities.

There was a plan, but both of them seemed to be in uncharted territory - they knew what they were doing, but only because there was a textbook telling them the right steps.

The Captain stood, followed by the surgeon. They shook hands and the Captain left the room after communicating his trust in the surgeon.

A woman entered the room, started to speak, but the words were not important to the surgeon. He cut her off and handed her the list of people he had stressed much earlier.

"Schedule these. As soon as the morning. Everything else, non-emergent, gets pushed," he said, not talking as he normally did.

She eyeballed the list and there was a slight look of shock on her face. then she left without saying a word.

---
Thank you to the people reading this :) you make my day. This chapter is really short and I'm sorry but it's kinda a 'linking' chapter that the plot needs to make sense- you'll get it later. Anyways, enjoy the read!