Chapter 1: The Promise

Reyna woke up to the sound of someone knocking on the door of the spare room she was sleeping in. She groggily opened her eyes

"Rise and shine, RARA!" Thalia said, poking her head into the room. As usual, the lieutenant had on her black ripped jeans and her shirt that said "Death To Barbie". A thin silver tiara sat on her black spiky hair.

"Ugh, I'm up." Reyna replied, as Thalia left the room. She rummaged through her closet for her white camo pants and silver t-shirt. After changing, Reyna quickly tied her hair into a messy french braid.

She went to the WayStation's living room. Jo and Emmie, the owners of Waystation, were chatting with her fellow Hunters. A plate of brownies were on the dining table. As Reyna reached for one, a distant memory came back to her.

Jason smiles at her as they walk through the streets of New Rome. Just the two of them.

"Look! Brownies!" Jason suddenly shouts, pointing at a new dessert shop. He cheerfully runs over to get a sample.

Reyna laughs. Jason loves brownies.

He comes back with a sample for her, crumbs all over his face. She hesitates, then stands up on her tiptoes to brush them away.

Just as she's about to pull back her hand, Jason's own hand catches hold of hers. She looks at him quickly. His tranquil blue eyes hold her gaze. They stand there for a while, holding hands.

Reyna froze mid-way from reaching for the brownie. She didn't need anything to remind her of Jason. Why are you still like this, Reyna? She thought to herself. Jason's gone. He's gone and nothing's going to bring him back.

Reyna collapsed on the couch and sighed. She'd been devoted to Jason. He disappeared for months, leaving her devastated and worried. Then he came back with a girlfriend, Piper. Which left Reyna heart-broken. Not that she and Jason were ever a couple....but there were times where she felt like they could be. It didn't matter anymore. Reyna thought she had moved on. Another flash of memory appeared in her head.

She and Jason were sitting on a bench in the Garden of Bacchus, enjoying each other's company and the sweet fragrance of the flowers around them. 

"I wish I could leave Camp Jupiter and go travel the world." Jason suddenly says. Reyna looks at him with shock. Seeing her expression, Jason hastily adds, "But of course I can't, because I'm a demigod, son of Zeus, monsters would eat me, etc...."

"You also have duties and responsibilities here! You have a home here! Would you really give that up for going traveling? And you....you would also leave me..." Reyna finally finished, turning away from Jason. Jason reached out and put a hand on her shoulder.

"Hey, that's not going to happen, ok? I am always going to come back to you. I promise."  

"Reyna? Hello?" Someone shook her shoulders, snapping her out of the memory. Reyna looked up to see the concerned faces of Calypso and Leo.

"What's up, Reyna? You seem out of it today, hermana." Leo said. 

"I'm...I'm fine. I just need some fresh air." Reyna mumbled. She ran out the door and sat down on the porch steps, not minding the bitter cold that hit her. Tears came out her eyes and streamed down her cheeks.

"You promised." Reyna whispered.