Part 5

After changing my outfit five times, I settled on a casual white fitted crop top that my mom let me borrow, and a pair of light wash ripped jean shorts, then my basic white Air Force ones. I put my hair up into a high ponytail, and even put on some mascara my mom also lent to me. I have my own, I just haven't used it in so long that when I opened it, dry pieces of mascara fell onto my carpet. It just wasn't usable.

Finally, I step outside, and Adrian gets off of his phone when he hears the door shut. He's wearing the same thing as before, of course. A dark blue t-shirt, light wash jeans, and fitted short black boots.

"Wow, you look amazing." He says, looking me up and down.

"And you, sir, look the same as you did earlier." He laughs.

"That I do."

He gets on his bike, and I grab mine.

"Sorry for making you wait so long," I say.

"It's fine." He says, taking another look at my outfit.

When we pulled up next to the tree, my jaw dropped. Dozens of kids are at this party! I thought there would just be a couple, you know like Adrian made it seem to be. That explains all of the cars parked.

There is loud pop music playing further out near the water. We both get off of our bikes and lean them against the tree. Two more teens walk past us. One blonde guy wearing swim trunks carrying two towels, and the girl next to him wearing a tiny two-piece, with a black mesh cover-up over it.

Adrian starts walking near behind them, and I follow beside him.

"Are all of these people your friends?" I ask him, my forehead starting to sweat.

I don't do well in big groups of people, because I can be pretty introverted. It depends on who you ask, though.

To Adrian, I am loud and talk to everyone around us. That's because he would always make me feel more like myself, and more open to new things. Used to. I don't know about this new Adrian. This time I'm not just referring to his new appearance.

"No, of course not. Here, do you see those four people sitting around that fire?" He points to two teen couples sitting around a fire they made on the corner of the beach, that have a big blue cooler and are holding cans. All laughing together so loud I can hear them from over here.

"Yeah."

The teens in front of us turn, so now I have a clearer view of everyone. And there are a lot of people to see. So many people, so many teens or young adults. I feel myself get a little self-conscious as I tug off my shirt. I never really wear crop tops. My mom said I looked just like her when she was my age, except I have light brown hair instead of her beautiful long dark brown hair.

"They are my friends. And don't worry, they can make good people."

"Well, yeah. You said that earlier."

I hear how that kinda sounded rude, but I am internally freaking out as we brush by teenagers that are smoking and drinking beer. Adrian told my mom that there would not be drinking smoking or drugs. I mean, I don't see anyone with drugs, but I wouldn't bet against it.

The music gets louder, and the laughing of Adrian's friend group does too as we stalk closer. Suddenly four people move out of our way, and everyone who is sitting around the fire on foldable chairs is in view, and looking at us. I come to a stop as everyone gets up and says hi to Adrian, one guy patting his back and handing him a beer can. Adrian drinks?

"Everyone," Adrian announces to them, holding his hands in the air.

A black girl with beautiful black curly hair looks over at me and smiles. I smile back sheepishly.

"This is my friend, her name is Kathrine, be nice."