why medicine why?

Anya's POV:

'Anya..Anya' I heard someone calling out
my name as I buzzed through the
crowded hallway.

I stopped and turned to look around only for me to find my bestfriend Akriti running towards me. Huffing and puffing, she spoke again. ' Anya, Swapnil sir is calling you to the medicine ward now'.

Akriti and I have been best friends since the last 10 years.
It all started in highschool when our sections were shuffled and we ended up as deskmates. What started as an awkward encounter blossomed into a beautiful friendship over time. Following eachother all the way to med school has truly been a test of time, but it carved a beautiful path towards sisterhood.

' Anuuu ' I heard her yell waving her hands in front of my face breaking my chain of thoughts.
Where are you lost ? Swapnil sir wants you in the medicine ward now'.

I'm going I'm going

Do you know why I'm being called?

'No idea' she replied. I have to go type the discharge summary now. Bye. She waved and quietly walked away.

Lost in my thoughts, I made my way to the wards slightly nervous and worried.

Amidst all of this, I forgot to introduce myself.
I'm Anya Krishnan an intern at one the most prestigious medical College in Bangalore.  My bestfriend Akriti and I fortunately ended up in the same medical College. We also have the same postings going on but different units.

I slowly entered the wards only for me to see my entire unit present and clearly waiting for me, a mere insignificant intern.

'Welcome Anya madam welcome' spoke swapnil sir a senior resident. We were waiting for you.

'Umm.. I.... what!' I panicked as soon as I heard him.

I'm sorry sir, I wasn't aware of this meeting I said bending my head not maintaining eye contact.

I could hear the postgraduates snickering behind sir.

Before I could say anything else, I heard swapnil sir speak up again.  Anya do you know why you were called here on your off duty day?

No sir, I'm sorry.

There is a CME approaching soon and our unit is incharge of organising it this time. As the intern in our unit, it is your responsibility to arrange everything along with the postgraduates.
I want you to pair up with Abhishek and Sanya.
Keep me posted about the proceedings. He said

Sir, is it alright if Alok volunteers instead of me, I don't think... Before I could finish the sentence, he cut me off saying

What's decided is decided. No changes. The decision was taken by the HOD. any issues, you're welcome to sort it out with him.
I think we are done here, let's start our afternoon rounds.

Nooo I cannot do this.
Me and Abhishek in the same room, never!
I need to talk to Akriti right away. I can't handle this.

Okay anu don't get distracted, it's time for rounds now.

We have a rule in this college. Afternoon rounds have to be conducted by interns and I got ready since it was my turn today.

Here is a 55 year old patient with 10 episodes of loose stools...... I continued the rounds with minor scoldings here and there.

That's all with the first chapter of the story
To know more like and share :)