(4)

Ruhi:

I woke up feeling exhausted and didn't feel like getting out of bed when the first rays of sunshine entered the room. But I remembered Maa's words from the previous night and forced myself to open my eyes. The Golden Temple of Amritsar is one of my favorite Gurudwaras, so I was excited as I got ready for the day.

Since there were no signs of Ekansh, I assumed that he had already gotten ready. He had made it clear the previous night that he was not interested in the wedding. I cried, not because he didn't have feelings for me, but because I felt like I would have no one in my life to love me.

I still couldn't decipher why Dadu made it haste for the wedding.

I was never a lovesick but for a few days, I started to miss it. I want someone to take care of me. To check if I had breakfast or not. I want someone to be beside me when I am sick.

Dadu was always with me. He took the roles of being my mother, father, and even grandpa. There are nights I still sleep with him as I miss that someone in my life.

I missed Dadu already, so, I phoned him before leaving the room.

"Ladoo Rani!" He said with enthusiasm, as soon as he answered the call.

"Dadu, I miss you." I curled my lip out and shed a tear. I am still his baby girl.

"I am on my way to Amritsar," He informed. I chirped with happiness. I will have time to spend with him before our reception party.

"Did you have breakfast?" I asked.

"Yes. And you?"

"I just woke up. But Ekansh and I are visiting Gurudwara."

"Oh. I guess, I will arrive to Amritsar before you come back from there."

"Yes, Dadu." I received a knock and Maa stepped inside. "I will cut the call, now. Dadu." I cut the call and walked to her to take her blessings. But she stopped me from touching her feet and pecked on my forehead.

"Are you already missing your Dadu?" she asked, pointing to my phone. I nodded. "I understand, it's not easy, but this is the fate of every woman. When I got married, I was scared to live among new people, but eventually, Ekansh's father showed me love, care, and concern. I started to see the world differently."

But I will never get that, not from Ekansh. He has someone else in his heart. And he already made it clear that I can't replace her.

"I spoke with Ekansh, and he said that last night he did that to tease you." Then she cupped my cheeks and said, "You don't need to fear, Ruhi. Ekansh grew up with good manners."

Hearing that, I felt guilty and lowered my head. It's my turn to reveal the truth, "Maa, actually last night–"

"Ruhi," Ekansh stepped inside the room, interrupting me. His eyes fell on me, they wandered from my head to toe. He always does this. And I dunno why? Can it be because of despise?

"Yes!" Maa asked. That's when he diverted his eyes to Maa.

"I came to see, if she is ready or not. If yes then we should start for Gurudwara."

"Yeah, I am ready." I strolled to him.

"Wait you both." Maa interrupted us. She ambled to us and slightly tracing her finger on her lower eyelid, she extracted some Kohl and put the black dot behind my ear.

"Meri Bahu ka khayal rakhna, Ekansh."

"Take care of my daughter-in-law, Ekansh," She ordered. 

"Yes, Maa!"

The drive to Gurudwara was in complete silence. We both sat in the back seat, and our heads were tilted towards the windows. Along with the driver, a maid from the mansion accompanied us. Her name was Gurpreet.