Memory

Poe's arm remains around your waist as the small group of you walk to the control room. When you reach it, you're tempted to stay leaning against a wall, but Poe insists you sit down and he stands right next to you, evidently with no intention of leaving your side.

You look up when you hear commotion coming from one of the doors.

Three people walk in.

Aria, Sellak, and another familiar face, and you swear you could go into cardiac arrest just by the sight of him.

"Daymien!?"

The man looks around when you shout his name. Familiar green eyes meet yours and his face lights up in a wild grin.

"Y/N!"

He rushes over to you, breaking away from your sister and your grandfather. They follow quickly behind, though, not having gotten a chance to see you since before the Jakku mission. Almost immediately, Daymien wraps his arms around you in a tight hug.

"Maker, it's been years! How have you-"

"Ow, ow, ow, not so tight," you gasp out when pain surges through you.

"Fuck, shit, I'm so sorry." He immediately lets go of you, looking you over. "Shit, you're hurt, what happened?"

You laugh a bit but don't directly answer the question. "How long's it been?"

"About fourteen years."

Your jaw drops. "You're fucking joking."

"Been counting the days. I lost my best friend the day you left, you know."

A pang of guilt tugs at your heart, thinking about how you really did leave Daymien behind. It's not like you wanted to. You didn't want to risk anything. Besides, you were a stupid kid and all you wanted to do was run away. It didn't necessarily occur to you who you might've hurt in the process.

"I shouldn't have left you behind, I'm so sorry," you say. "You didn't deserve that. To be left with my family. You didn't deserve that."

Daymien shrugs. "It wasn't so bad after a bit. Aria and I talked about you all the time. When we started figuring out you were trying to take out the trading system, we started helping from the inside. Remember some of those times you'd hit the family and something would be conveniently in place to make your drop easier?"

"That was you?"

"All me, baby."

You chuckle. "You made my life a hell of a lot simpler, difficult as it was. Thank you."

"My pleasure. Least I could do after everything you did for me when we were kids. Now, what I need to know is, what the hell happened between when you left and now? 'Cause originally, you were just the son set to inherit the family throne, and now your a Jedi and one of the best pilots in the Resistance? Hello?"

"Daymien," Poe says loudly. "Hey."

Your old friend whistles. "Poe Dameron. Man, it's been a while. Haven't seen you since Y/N left either. And I know you've been here, too, but... well, I guess you guys were still out when they brought me in. It's good to see you."

Poe shoots him a tight smile. "Likewise. I hate to breakup the reunion but we have some work to get done and, last I checked, you don't have clearance."

"Wait, sorry, back up," you say quickly, leaning on Poe a little even though you're still sitting down. "Brought you in? Clearance? What're you talking about?"

"Poe didn't tell you?" Daymien says eagerly, rocking on the balls of his feet. "They recruited me. I work for the Resistance now too, isn't that great!"