Stress

WARNING: MENTION OF SUICIDE

Even though life throws hardship after hardship he never failed to look at the bright side of things.

Until another obstacle came into view.

Fear.

He was cursed with the irreversible fate of being a ghoul. He knew full well what being a ghoul meant.

In order to eat, in order to survive...he had to kill. Kill to live, how ironic life is. He'd have to hunt "prey" who could very well be a sibling, a parent, or spouse. But because of his being, he will have to succumb to the desire of supple flesh gracing his mouth while the pungent smell of iron invaded his nostrils. The warm blood greeting his taste buds.

He tried fighting the temptation walking all around. He was amazed at the many varieties of food. Tall, short, plump, thin, men women, boy, girl. His mouth dripped with anticipation for them all.

And then...there you were.

You stood out from the bustling streets of the 20th ward. Your (e/c) orbs were sullen and plagued with emptiness. Your gaze was set on the ground as you aimlessly wander forward heading for the park.

Kaneki mindlessly followed, instinct overriding will power. He couldn't resist the saccharine aroma emanating from your skin.

This is perfect! It would be the perfect time to strike in the secluded park.

You sensed a presence a few paces behind you clumsily trying to fall into step with you.

It didn't matter to you though, soon enough you'd finally be able to taste the freedom of eternal rest.

You never thought you'd be in this situation. Your life was always mediocre. Middle class family, regular friends, average grades. You couldn't really complain.

Until recently.

College was way more stressful than expected. Essays, projects, exams, stacks and stacks of tedious work. You were overwhelmed with the amount of homework assigned to you. It would be a miracle if you finished all of it on time.

Frustration soon turned into stress. You rarely smiled anymore, your face washed over with fatigue. The coffee slowly started to lose its edge and you needed something stronger to get you through the day. It was then that you started taking adderall you stole from your younger brother.

'He could always get some more' you thought.

But as popping one turned into two to five to seven, you began to realize that high and rush you got the first few times you swallowed the poison long since vanished, you felt trapped.

Stress grew into depression which metamorphosed into you wanting to be alone with your suicidal thoughts. The only solution for you to rid yourself of the distant pain was to die.

So as you stepped up on that bridge, anxious for what was to come, it all came together.

Kaneki didn't want you to feel like this was the only solution. Yeah it would've been easier for him if you were already dead but he didn't want that.

You jumped off embracing the rush until you were caught. Your unwelcomed savior was graced with ebony tresses, a grey hue, and a bandage across his eye left eye that seemed so out of place.

Your eyes widen in shock with the realization that you aren't dead and in that instant reality crashes down on your small frame. You spilled your heart out onto the strangers chest as tears and other unknown substances leaked from your disheveled visage staining the strangers jacket, as you fought to restore your breathing to a regular steady pace.

It wasn't a beautiful sight to see at all but fate had strange ways of bringing  people who needed one another together.

A broken girl and a lost boy.