22

Jey|

Wednesday Morning

I gently rubbed Amahle's thigh as she anxiously bounced her knee as we made our way to the courthouse. Today was the official day of her trail with her punk ass Ex-Fiancé.

Although Mal informed me that her lawyer had a good amount of evidence to get Michael locked away for a minute, something was telling me that it wasn't going to be that easy.

As I moved over to the middle lane on I-85, I glanced over at her and watched as she chewed on her bottom lip. A habit, I noticed she did when she was highly nervous or anxious. Reaching for her hand and held it in mine, rubbing the back of it with my thumb. I looked back at the road, and glanced at the gps. We had 10 minutes before we would be arriving.

"I know you're extremely nervous mama, but you're good. Today is going to run smooth and after , you won't have to worry ever again." I reassured, still rubbing the back of her hand. She placed her other hand on top of mines giving it a tight squeeze, before blowing out a breath. I felt her grip loosen, I looked away from the road and looked over at her. She was looking out of the window, watching as the buildings passed by as I drove up the highway.

"I'm just so nervous, Jey." she stated in a low voice. Siri's voice instructed me that the next exit was for me to take as I swiftly flicked the turn signal with one hand and then safely got over, to get off of the highway. As I pulled up the ramp, the light was red. I stopped and looked over at Amahle. She looked over at me with sad eyes, I placed both of my hands on each side of her face staring into her eyes.
"Baby, you got this. Don't stress yourself too hard about this."
She blinked and heavily sighed before lightly smiled at me, "You're right. I gotta stop thinking negative. I've waited so long for this day, I just can't wait for it to be over and done with." she softly stated. A small encouraging smile plastered across my face as I stared at her, "Today will be good. Okay?"

She gently nodded her head and stared back at me, I slowly leaned toward her to place a kiss on her lips but was interrupted by the car behind us blowing its horn. I jolted around and noticed the light was green, "Shit." I groaned as I gripped the steering wheel and sped through the light, earning a giggle from Ahmale.

In record time, we parked in a nearby parking deck that was next to the court house. I hopped out and waltzed over to the passenger side and opened the door for her. She grabbed my extended hand and climbed out, "Thank you, pumpkin."  She moved over to let me close the door. I wrapped my arm around her waist as we made our way to the side entrance of the courthouse through the parking garage.

Opening the door for her, she slightly hesitated before walking through the threshold. Following closely behind her as she led the way to the assigned court room, where her lawyer patiently stood in front of.

The middle aged latina woman noticed us and smiled warmly. "Hello Miss Simmons, I'm glad to see you here. I have a great feeling about today." she reassured. Amahle sighed with relief and wrapped her arms around herself. I placed my hand on her hip, and gently pulled her into my side. The woman looked over at me and smiled, "Hi, you must be Mr.Fatu. I am Diane Ruiz, criminal lawyer to represent Miss Simmons." Her heavy accent introduced, as she held a hand out to me. I plastered a small smile on my face and grasped her hand,  firmly shaking it "Yes, it's nice to meet you."

Diana let go of my hand and looked down at her wrist, "Okay, it's almost time. There's a lot of supporters here for you Miss Simmons." she mentioned with a reassuring smile. I could feel Amahle's body shaking as I held her close to me. Rubbing her hip, calmed her down a little but I knew it wouldn't be enough once we stepped foot into the room.