CHAPTER 1: RESTO BAR

Author's note: Hi guys, this is my first ever publish book. I hope you can support me and enjoy your readings. I will try my best to update each chapter per day.

IG: 

All right reserved 2024

[Copying the story without prior permission is against the law]

"Hey Gelo, could you pass me the pot?" my aunt requested, her voice calm and subtle, yet carrying a noticeable drop in energy after a day of tireless work.

"Here, tita [aunt] Julia, be careful," I obediently handed her the boiling soup as she poured the recipe into the dish.

"Gelo, could you please pass this to table 2, the one across the counter?" Uncle Niel handed me a serving tray with soju and kimchi. I immediately took it and handed it over to the group of men at that table. They gently accepted the tray and helped me put it down the table.

"Thank you," they said in sync. Their accent hinted at foreign origins, likely Koreans. This was no surprise considering our resto bar specializes in Korean cuisine, catering to the growing demand for the typical samgyupsal, ramens, and rice cake servings in the Philippines.

I moved to a table beside them to clean, inadvertently overhearing their conversation.

"Tteokbokki masisseoyo [Their rice cake is really good]," said the guy with glasses.

"Daebubun-ui eumsig-i jinjja mas-i naneun geos gat-ayo [I think all of their food tastes authentic]," another responded, their backs turned, making it difficult to identify who's who.

As I left to attend to other duties, another guy spoke.

"Heum, geuleonde ramyeon-i neomu ig-eoss-eoyo. Naneun geugeos-eul joh-ahaji anhneunda. [The ramen looks overcooked, I don't like it]," he said, followed by a lowkey and sarcastic laugh.

I turned my face to see who spoke, but he's not facing me so I can't see. I clenched my fist for insulting our food, if he only knew I understood their language.

Basically, my Father is Korean so I have a resemblance. I've grown up living in Seoul and I've spent my childhood there. My Filipino mom fell in love with my Father while working abroad as a House Helper and cook. When I turned five, my mom and I decided to visit here in the Philippines, which I found difficult at that time to adapt. I remember crying to my Dad to stop me and my mom from going here.

Life here seemed fine until a financial crisis and business conflicts with my dad's company in Korea disrupted our family. My mom had to return urgently, leaving me with my aunt and uncle. The news of her tragic car accident came later, shattering my understanding and leaving me lost in a place I couldn't yet call home.

*Flashback

Leaving me here alone was hard enough, it's like being lost in a place you've never been before. I thought it couldn't get any worse, but I was wrong. Three days after her flight, my aunt, the one who temporarily kept me, received a call from someone.

"Hello, sino to? [who's this]" it was a normal day, I was slowly accepting the fact that I was left alone by playing with my toys. I didn't really care about it not until my aunt started shaking and tears drifted down her eyes.

"W-what? What do you mean dead? Niel come here, jusko po [Oh my God!]" she shouted and Uncle Niel rushed out from the kitchen out of fear and worry.

I still couldn't understand what was happening. They hugged me after that and tried their best to explain what happened. But I was only confused. I know for certain that they're sad, but I am still not familiar with English at that time. Who would've thought that the temporary stay here would be this long. They fixed my papers, and did their best to take care of me. Upon growing up, I've slowly learned that my mom had a car accident in Korea. I was devastated when I finally understood my situation. It's like stuck somewhere between the pain and not feeling anything at all.