The Breakup

For about a couple weeks, Jimmy kept quiet about everything because he didn't want to sour his family's end-of-year festivities. He spent quality time with the Kingsleys on Christmas Eve and Day, trying to pick up hints from Sara, but she really just seemed so overjoyed to finally be spending time with her boyfriend on such a beautiful day of the year. As for New Year's Eve, Jimmy was confined at the restaurant, as that was one of the biggest nights of the year for customers to come in and eat their final meal of the year. The Kingsleys came and hoped to see Jimmy, but their night was mostly spent in a little booth as Jimmy was forced to tend to everything else. However, as the ball dropped, Jimmy made sure to ring in the new year with his beloved family.

Sara's workplace took off a few days for the holiday break, but a few days into the new year, everyone was back at work. Christmastime was over, and now everyone was meant to go back into their normal routine whether they liked it or not. It was on Sara's first day at work that Jimmy decided he would pay her a visit and have a little chat with her, since he finally had some time to do so. He wanted to finally see what the deal was between her and Brian.

Jimmy swerved his silver Mercedes into the parking lot of Eagle Rock and spryly hopped out of his car. His heart skipped a beat, however, when he saw none other than Brian walking up the lot.

Suddenly, and unknown force propelled Jimmy forward and caused him to call out, "Hey, Brian!" He felt his legs pumping forward to meet the other man, who had stopped and smiled at the sight of his friend's boyfriend.

"Hey, Jimmy," Brian said nonchalantly. "How are ya?"

"How am I?" Jimmy scoffed, and Brian was taken by surprise. "Brian, you owe me an explanation as to what your intentions are with Sara."

"I-I don't understand," Brian said honestly, cocking his head in confusion.

It was at this moment that Sara had walked outside to grab something from her car. She smiled at the surprise sighting of Jimmy, but her grin disappeared when she saw him talking to Brian with a rather angry look on his face.

Jimmy pulled out his phone and tapped the picture Brian had posted on his social media page. "Explain this," Jimmy said indignantly. "And all the other times you and Sara have hung out in an intimate setting."

"I can assure you we've never hung out in an 'intimate setting,' as you say," Brian replied, crossing his arms.

"Then what about all the times you ate lunch together, and --"

"What is going on here!?" Sara exclaimed, jumping in. Her gaze darted back and forth accusingly between the two men.

"Sara," Brian implored, his voice a bit softer. "Please tell Jimmy that our friendship is just that, a friendship."

"It sure doesn't seem like it from that picture you posted," Jimmy said hotly.

Sara placed her hands on her hips, her eyebrows twisting in anger. "Jimmy, do you really think Brian and I are more than just friends?"

"You tell me."

A stone-cold expression formed on Sara's face and she heaved a slow sigh, turning to Brian. "Sorry, Brian, could you excuse us two for a moment?"

"Sure thing," Brian replied, heading off, but not without casting one last glance at Jimmy.

"Jimmy, what is the meaning of this?" Sara hissed after she was sure Brian entered the building.

"I don't like the two of you hanging out together as much as you do." Jimmy's voice was not as sharp as it was when he talked to Brian, but there was still anger in his voice, mixed with hurt.

"Brian is my work friend," Sara said emphatically. "And a great one at that. We enjoy spending time with each other, but that's all there is to it."

"Then why would he make this post on social media?" Jimmy rebutted, pulling out his phone again to show Sara the picture as though it was her first time seeing it.

Sara shrugged. "I don't know," she said truthfully. "He just values our friendship."

"Well, the way he has his arm wrapped around you says he's not satisfied with it being just a friendship."

Sara drew in a breath. Jimmy wasn't entirely wrong about this. Lately, Brian had been acting a bit strange around Sara. But still, Sara stood her ground. "And even if he does like me as more than a friend, it will never get anywhere. I won't allow that to happen."

"And how can I know that for sure?" Jimmy blurted out.

Sara's jaw dropped, and she took a step back in shock. A look of hurt suddenly flooded over her face, and Jimmy instantly regretted what he said, but Sara's expression suddenly grew sharp as a cutting knife, and Jimmy stood tall again.

"Do you mean to say I would fall for Brian?" Sara spoke slowly and did everything in her power to keep her voice steady. "After everything you and I have been through?"

"How should I know what you're doing here every day?" Jimmy replied.

"Well, of course you don't, because you're never around to visit me!"

That did it for Jimmy. Seething, he stepped forward and felt his body tense up with rage and annoyance. "You know I've been so busy at the restaurant," he snapped. "You think I don't want to come and see you? I can hardly afford to take time off, ever." He tossed a glance towards the office building, where Brian was inside working. "If I could, I'd come and visit you whenever possible, especially knowing that one of your own coworkers is after you."

"You don't need to worry about him!" Sara cried out with annoyance.

"I do, because since I'm not around as often as I used to be, I worry that you'll grow closer with him instead," Jimmy admitted, his voice still stern, but there was a touch of vulnerability laced inside.

Sara's lips flattened with anger. "If you don't trust me enough to know I would never betray you," she said, now unable to hide the quiver in her voice, "then I think it's best we stop seeing each other."

Jimmy's heart plummeted to the floor. For a moment he was stunned and could not assemble the words to speak, but after a moment he found his voice. "Maybe that's what's best after all," he said roughly, trying to remain strong as he watched his dream of being with Sara Kingsley begin to shatter right before his eyes.

"Okay, then." Sara replied choppily. There was a thick, awkward silence between the two, until Sara nodded tersely and then turned around, briskly walking back to the building.

Jimmy watched her leave, and noticed her brushing at her cheek as she opened the front door and enter the building. He stood there frozen, alone by himself in the parking lot for a few moments, and he didn't really have any conscious thoughts until he suddenly realized he hadn't been breathing for almost a minute. A lump rose in his throat and his face twisted with anguish as the thought of Sara walking away from him appeared in his mind. He felt hollow as he dragged himself back to his car, not knowing where to go or what to do next.

Now the tension's REALLY rising... tell me if you're Team Jimmy or Team Sara with this one ;)