chapter eighteen

.Meira's POV.

"What is this, Meira? You always leave the last piece." Martha complains.

I looked up from my plate and said, "Martha—uhm!" My eyes widen when she puts the piece of bread in my mouth. "What is this? I was having it." My words came out muffled with my mouth full.

She glares at me, a small smile curving around her lips.

Hearing footsteps coming on our way into the dining area, Martha and I both turned our attention to the newcomer.

I almost choked on my bread when I saw Austin wearing his casual T-shirt with jeans and sneakers.

The juicy part?

His veins were fucking popping through his tan skin, and his wristwatch was making him look hotter.

Martha gasped beside me.

I gave Martha a suspicious look.

Is she having hots for Austin too? I mean, I don't blame her because this man is indeed looking like a snack.

"You are looking really good, Austin." Martha complimented. "Did Meira finally convince you to loosen up?"

My eyes widen. So does Austin's. But mine, in comparison to his, looks comical. What the—

I look up at her, baffled. She rolled her eyes.

"Do you really think I wouldn't know how Austin's formality makes you lose your sanity? Of course, you did something so that this man finally chose to ditch those suits and opt for casuals." She said this and shook her head before walking back to the kitchen.

"I..." I didn't know what to say. I looked at Austin, seeing him already looking at me with an unreadable expression.

I swallowed my food and turned around, facing my plate.

Austin's eyes lifted from me before setting upon Martha. "Thanks, Martha. I hope this isn't."

"Oh no, no, it's all good. I'm actually happy to see you like this. Handsome boy." She softly laughed. He nodded and gave her a soft smile. I drink my water, narrowing my eyes at the interaction.

He never smiles at me.

Asshat.

"Ready?" Austin turns to me.

"Huh?" I look up, locking our eyes. He raised his brow, motioning with his hand towards the exit.

"Uh, yeah!" My answer came out way more enthusiastic than I expected. I got up from my chair and picked up my bag. "Let's go."

He nods once, pressing his lips together, and takes out his phone from his pocket. We proceeded to walk, but Martha stopped us.

Martha hands Austin something wrapped in tin foil that looked like a sandwich and a thermos flask.

"I could have eaten something from outside." Austin chuckled.

"There's no need for that."

"I'll make sure he eats all of 'em." I inserted. Austin looks at me with a foreign expression. I decided not to dwell on that small thing. "Now, shall we go?" I asked Austin.

He nodded. He gave a last nod to Martha before we exited my mansion.

Austin drove towards the campus. There was huge traffic on our way, which made me want to groan in frustration. While we were stuck on the road, I made Austin eat his breakfast and coffee.

"What's your plan for today?" Austin asked me.

My brows knitted. "For what?"

"It's your birthday, Meira." He says it softly.