Chapter Thirty-seven

"Windecho," Frostwind meowed calmly as her brother stepped away from Snowstar. Her body spasmed once and lay still for a short while, before the white she-cat breathed again.

"Traitor," Snowstar hissed, her claws unsheathed.

"Frostwind! I was using her. You believe me... Right?" Windecho asked. "Sister?"

Frostwind watched him for a moment, her eyes never leaving his, her gaze unwavering. 

"No, I do not," she meowed firmly. "I'm not looking to be betrayed again."

"Frostwind. Frostwind, I promise I-"

"I don't care about your promises," she snapped. "You are worthless. You can't be trusted. And we are done. I should've never have called you my brother. But... Was it really about her, Windecho? All the fights, the ignoring, the taunts... Windecho, Stormwind wouldn't have wanted you to do that."

Windecho's expression was pained. "I've always wondered if Stormwind was named after me."

"Of course she wasn't," Frostwind snapped. Stormwind, named after her idiot of a brother?

"Stop talking now," Snowstar hissed. "Those who will follow me, join me now! WinterClan warriors, your time has come!"

One of the WinterClan cats stepped forward. It was Moonshine. "I was named in honor of the first Moonshine, the mother of Blizzardleap's kits. Moonwisp and Wispflame were left motherless because of a border dispute. We should be done fighting!"

The WinterClan cats looked at each other, and Snowstar's eyes landed on one cat. "Sparrowtail," she meowed calmly, "will you join me?"

"Who's Sparrowtail?" Frostwind hissed into Amberfrost's ear.

Her deputy rolled her eyes playfully and gestured with her tail to the dark orange tom who'd stiffened when Snowstar had addressed him. He looked uncomfortable, and glanced at a tan she-cat, who was heavily expecting.

"I don't know," Sparrowtail murmured.

"How can you say that?" the tan she-cat cried. "Choose me over her, Sparrowtail. You have to."

"Who's that and what relation does Sparrowtail have with Snowstar?" Frostwind muttered to Amberfrost. Again, her deputy gave her a playful eye roll.

"You don't know anything, do you?" Amberfrost whisper-laughed. "Sparrowtail is Snowstar's littermate."

"Oh." That made sense, actually. Although Frostwind had been thinking that he was a former love interest.

Sparrowtail glanced again at the tan she-cat, who was watching him almost haughtily, and finally turned back to his sister. Snowstar raised her eyebrows at him.

"Well?" she asked quietly. "Sweetstone? Ivywing? Pinewhisker? Any of you?" The tortoiseshell she-cat to Moonshine's right stiffened, her tail arched back. Frostwind guessed she must be Ivywing, and a quiet nod from Amberfrost confirmed her suspicion.

The other two, Sweetstone and Pinewhisker, seemed to be together. Sweetstone was a pale gray she-cat with a baby pink nose, and Pinewhisker was a reddish-brown tom with the same pink nose and matching amber eyes that made him look like Sweetstone's father.

Which probably meant that Ivywing and Pinewhisker were the parents of Snowstar, Sparrowtail and Sweetstone. They really liked the letter S, didn't they.

"Make your choice, Sparrowtail," the tan she-cat meowed fiercely, "but if you choose her, I'm never speaking to you again."

"Quietstream, you can't do that to me, please," Sparrowtail begged.