Chapter 6

"What an asshole," I threw my shoe at the door

"What an asshole," I threw my shoe at the door. Daisy whimpered and scattered from under the door before the shoe could hit her.

I covered my mouth and ran to my baby, "I'm sorry Daisy, I didn't mean to hit you. Come here," I scooped her up in my arms.

I brought us over to the living room and sank into my couch. The news was on and once again Erica Madden was on my screen. Her eyes were bright and her voice clear as she reported about a tornado threatening to blow through the city. I blinked, the news continuing on my screen. Damn, we haven't had a tornado hit here since 1971.

I looked down at the ball of silky fur in my arms. Daisy breathed in and out peacefully, her attention glued to the TV. I had gotten her as a gift to myself on my 21st birthday. Instead of going to the bar to have a drink with friends, I adopted my little Daisy.

She's been not only a pet but a great companion. With my depression fluctuating in and out of my life, Daisy always kept me grounded. When I feel down, her cuddles and soft whimpers remind me that someone else depends on and loves me and I do her.

My phone buzzed from beside me, my mom's picture showing up on my screen. I took a deep breath before I picked it up and answered.

"Jade, hey baby how are you doing?" Her voice flowed from the speaker.

"I'm good mom, how are you?" I stroked Daisy's back.

"Good, I'd be better if you came and saw us more. I'm getting older and I miss you. June misses you too now that you and Jasmin don't live at home anymore. Come visit."

A pang of guilt filled my chest, I had been so busy with work I hadn't spent much time with my family. Our relationship was a little rocky in the beginning but ever since I moved out things have been decent between us. "Alright, I'll let you know if I can get a weekend off and come see you guys."

"Lovely. How is it up over there in the city? Is work going well? Friends or boyfriend." She pressed for some details in my life.

"I got a new job as a civil engineer and my friends are fine. I've been more focused on work these days so I don't have a man right now." I informed her. "How's dad?" I switched the subject before she could pounce on my love and work life.

"You're father's fine, he wanted me to tell you he said hi by the way. He just left for the store. We're hosting tonight for dinner."

"Oh and who are you hosting this time? The king of England?" I snickered.

"No honey, he's not on the list. I'm hosting some of my coworkers. I have to go now, I'll talk to you later. Make sure you visit alright, bye baby." She ended the call.

I sighed, dropping my phone to the couch again. "Want to go see grandma," I raised my eyebrows playfully while scratching behind Daisy's ear. Her tail wagged and her tongue stuck out cutely.