Chapter 1

"Ten!" I called as the tenth train that day passed by me and my sister's window, leaving behind a cloud of dark smoke. "I win."

My sister, Sophie rolled her eyes playfully. We had made up this game to see how many train would pass by our window in our shift. We both worked at our father's old hat store, I usually sketched out a hat idea and then Sophie would make it into reality. I had always had a talent for sketching, in fact our bedroom was covered with drawings of either the town, people, or just things from my imagination.

"Sophie, (Y/n)?" Said our mom's friend. "We're closing up the shop, you both have done enough. why don't you come with us this time?" Each day after closing her and the other girls that worked here would go into town and have fun, which consisted of flirting with soldiers, which wasn't me and Sophie's cup of tea.

"No, we'd better finish this." She replied.

"Yeah, you guys go and have fun." I said, waving her off.

"If you insist-"

"Look! It's Howl's castle!" A young girl interrupted, running to the window.

"Wow! I've never seen him so close!"

"Do you think he can see us?"

I looked out the window and watched Howl's castle walk into the fog to hide from the planes that were passing by, I realized I had yet to do a sketch of that. Hopefully in the future I'll be able to do it.

"Aw he's gone."

"No, he's just hiding in the fog from those planes."

"Did you hear what happened to that girl Martha? They say Howl ripped her heart out!"

"Now I'm too scared to go out!"

I rolled my eyes, there's no way Howl can literally rip someone's heart out. That would just be plain murder. Broken it would be more accurate.

"Don't worry." Another girl added. "Howl only preys on pretty girls."

They all burst out laughing as they left the shop, leaving us in silence once more, except for another train passing by.

"That's eleven, I win." She smirked as she put the finished hat on the mannequin.

"Boo." I pouted, crossing my arms.

We both got up and grabbed our own hats and put them on, today we were gonna pay our youngest sister, Lettie a visit.

We exited the shop and hopped onto a trolley.

"Should we have a race?" I asked. "I know a shortcut."

Sophie rolled her eyes. "The last time you took a "shortcut" you got lost for three hours."

"This time it's real!"

"Ok, you take the "shortcut" and I'll take our usual route, winner gets a chocolate eclair, and the loser has to buy it."

"Deal."

Once the trolley came to a stop we both took off in different directions. After a moment though, I didn't recognize any of the buildings near me.

"Great." I mumbled.

"Hey, looks like a little mouse lost its way."

I looked up to find two soldiers in front of me, both checking me out. One was blonde and clean shaven while the other had a dark mustache.

"No, I'm not lost." I lied.

"This little mouse looks thirsty." The blonde one continued, blocking my path as I tried to go around him. "We should take her in for a cup of tea."

"No thank you, I'm fine."

"She's pretty cute for a mouse." The one with the mustache commented.

"How old are you anyway? You live around here?" The blonde one asked.

"Back off." I said, feeling the color rise to my face.

"See? I told you your mustache scares all the girls."

"So what? I think she's even cuter when she's scared."

"Look guys, If you don't back off-"

"There you are sweetheart. Sorry I'm late, I've been looking everywhere for you." A deep voice interrupted. I felt the new stranger's arm wrap around my shoulder, but instead of feeling frightened, it was somehow comforting.

"Hey! We're a little busy here." The blonde guard said.

"Oh really? To me it looked like the two of you were just leaving." The strange man waved his hand and suddenly both of the guards walked off like puppets on a string.

"Don't hold that against them. They're actually not all that bad."

I looked towards my savior to thank him, but froze. This guy was handsome, he had shoulder length blonde hair with the clearest blue eyes, and was wearing extravagant clothes.

"Where to? I'll be your escort this evening."

"The bakery." I replied, my voice an octave higher than normal, which caused him to chuckle.

"I can see why those solders called you a mouse, you sound exactly like one." He said as we began walking.

"Oh thanks a lot." I replied sarcastically.

"My pleasure. Oh! And don't be alarmed, but I'm being followed. Just act normal."

"YOUR BEING WHA-" Before I could finish, these strange black blob-looking things came out of the walls around us.

"Sorry, looks like you're involved." He apologized. "This way."

He led me down another alley, the blob men not far behind.

"Um, they're getting closer!" I said, alarmed.

"Don't worry, hang on!"

In a flash we were both flying high above town.

I was about to scream when the man spoke again. "It's ok, just act like you're walking. Like me."

I began to mimic his leg movements and soon it wasn't as frightening. It was even quite fun.

"There you go, you're a natural." He complimented, making me blush slightly.

We continued to soar above the town, watching the small people below us go about their business, unaware that we were above them. All too soon he dropped me off at the bakery.

"I'll lead them away, make sure you wait a bit before heading out." He said, placing me onto the balcony.

"Ok." I replied, letting go of his hand.

"That's my girl." With that, he dropped into the crowded street below.

"I'm dreaming." I said after a moment. "I have to be dreaming this can't really have-"

"(Y/n)!" Two familiar voices exclaimed and I turned in time to see my two sisters racing towards me.

"(Y/n) are you alright? Someone said they just saw you float onto our balcony!" Lettie exclaimed, her blue eyes boring into my (e/c) ones.

"So it wasn't a dream." I muttered.

I love this movie so much and finally decided to post a fanfic on it! Yay!